Controversial opinions on metal

explicitly
ex·plic·it   [ik-splis-it]
adjective
1. fully and clearly expressed or demonstrated; leaving nothing merely implied; unequivocal: explicit instructions; an explicit act of violence; explicit language.
2. clearly developed or formulated: explicit knowledge; explicit belief.
3. definite and unreserved in expression; outspoken: He was quite explicit as to what he expected us to do for him.
4. described or shown in realistic detail: explicit sexual scenes.
5. having sexual acts or nudity clearly depicted: explicit movies; explicit books.

In context, please. What does it mean to be a doom metal band explicitly vs a doom metal band implicitly?

By definitions #1 and #2, I would interpret his post as meaning "They were never explicitly a "doom metal" band because they lack the tangible musical qualities that make a band doom metal." If that's what he meant, then I don't see the problem because I basically already said that in my post.

By definition #3, I would interpret his post as meaning "They were never explicitly a "doom metal" band because they never defined themselves as doom metal." If that's what he meant, then I don't see how that is relevant when I'm fairly certain that others from that time did not define themselves as doom metal either.

Did bands even call themselves doom metal back then? When did the term "doom metal" even get coined?

I did some quick Googling and all I could find was some metal wiki citing Epicus Doomicus Metallicus as coining it. Wouldn't be surprised if that's wrong and if it was being thrown around at the same time as any other metal sub-genre, but I don't know where to find any relevant interviews on the matter. SendBackMyStamps doesn't have much earlier than 1985 and they cover mostly thrash, death, and black metal, and the zine scans on Corroseum's page all seem to be dead links, but I know there's a lot of stuff floating around on assorted blogs.

Post-Forest of Equilibrium Cathedral is some of the most ridiculous and stupid shit in existence. Basically nothing more than grooveless and overglorified "Southern metal"/stoner rock. Every American band that changed their sound likewise did it better.

Glad to see some appreciation for hot black chicks tho.

Reactions: SonOfNun
If your favourite subgenre of metal isn't metal then you're doing it wrong.

You're more than likely moving in that direction, or you've fallen into the SO METAAAAAAAAL trap. Woe is you.

Here's a controversial opinion (at least for this forum), I like Periphery. I listened to their first album when it came out and didn't appreciate it but now that i'm much more open to music I think its really fucking awesome.