Controversial opinions on metal

Arizmenda's Within the Vacuum of Infinity and Volahn's Dimensiónes del Trance Kósmico are fantastic and probably the best of the BTC that I have heard. Especially Arizmenda's though. That Rhinocervs compilation Odour of Dust and Rot released last year has some decent tracks as well. LLN is better though imo.

Have you heard of the Black Twilight Circle? Pretty much all of the bands that I mentioned are related to the scene and share members. Volahn (the musician) is involved in probably most of them. A number of the musicians, if I understand, are of Mexican heritage, so a few of the bands (particularly BHOTL and Kuxan Suum) incorporate some 'tribal' elements, for lack of a better word, but for the most part it's very raw and lo-fi straight ahead tremelo-driven black metal. Muknal and The Haunting Presence have a lot more death metal influence, whereas Axeman is hard to really classify as black metal at all. They're more of a crust/thrash/death metal band that takes a lot of cues from Amebix.

The Black Twilight Circle and the Crepusculo Negro label rightfully have a shitty reputation, but once I looked past a lot of the silliness that I read about them, I found that a lot of the music that they actually put out I found to be quite rewarding. I think the 'scene' is kind of dead at this point, but there's another, seemingly more responsible label called Rhinocervs (which originally released the Tukaaria and Odz Manouk albums) that seems to pick up a bit where they left off. The label is owned by two musicians in the scene, I believe, but I don't know who. They release collaborative recordings under the label's name on untitled tapes. I've heard excellent things about these tapes, but I haven't heard any of them myself.

Thanks for the info. Yeah I had heard of BTC before, but know close to nothing about it. I'll let you know what I think once I get a chance to hear them.

Arizmenda's Within the Vacuum of Infinity and Volahn's Dimensiónes del Trance Kósmico are fantastic and probably the best of the BTC that I have heard. Especially Arizmenda's though.

This. Out of Rhinocervs, make sure to listen to Tukaaria / Odz Manouk split. I haven't heard most of those nameless tapes.

I've said this before and I will say it again, Devin Townsend is fucking terrible in every single way. Anyone who worships this guy as a "god of metal" needs to be medicated.

Devin isn't a 'god of metal' because he really isn't a metal musician. He just happens to be associated with the metal scene due to SYL.

That said I think he really needs to stop trying to make silly music and go back to making sincere and down to earth stuff like AE.

What the fuck is wrong with silly music? Deconstruction is hilarious and well written. Let's just admit that Devin Townsend gets hated because of his cult-like following. Same with every other band and musician that I don't need to mention that is maligned in this thread.

There is nothing wrong with silly and fun music, I just don't think he's particularly any good at it when it is the sole focus of his music.

What the fuck is wrong with silly music? Deconstruction is hilarious and well written. Let's just admit that Devin Townsend gets hated because of his cult-like following. Same with every other band and musician that I don't need to mention that is maligned in this thread.

I actually just don't like syl or his solo work at all. I get what you're saying though.

I like Ocean Machine, Terria, the old SYL albums, I can handle almost everything Devin has done and I don't dislike anything he's done, but I got pretty tired of him quite a few years ago and that hasn't changed. He is a good producer, though, unlike that bullshit hack artist Steven Wilson, that musical cancer, he who makes everything completely boring. Hell, he even looks boring. He looks like that guy that would show up at parties and just sit on the couch for an hour and leave.