Controversial opinions on metal

Killing is My Business I could half-buy that argument for, especially with songs like Loved to Deth and Skull Beneath the Skin. Otherwise, Megadeth has been more on the flashy/technically-minded and speed metal side of thrash metal. In fact, I'd say that a lot of "heavier hard rock"/"early heavy metal" was more about big balls than Megadeth.

I havnt listened to Maiden since high school, but I always thought Powerslave was their best.

SFSGSW is the only Megadeth album I cannot get into out of the 4. I dont get the bash on Peace Sells. Yeah it might lack aggression when compared to the other albums, but fuck, it makes up for it with its memorable and catchy songs that are fun as fuck to singalong with, containing just the right amount of aggression to keep me interested.

I dont know Omen, gotta check em out.

Havnt listened to much Deep Purple, so I cant give a valid opinion when compared to Zeppelin, other than its fucking Zeppelin. They are untouchable.

I actually prefer Killers to Iron Maiden's self titled, and I find it hard to rate the two Di'Anno albums versus Dickinson's, cause they're quite different.

I think they really found their songwriting pinnacle on Powerslave, but for more aggressive shorter songs with punkish vocals you can't go past the Di'Anno albums.

I reckon Killing is my Business is Megadeth's weakest, closely followed by SFSGSW. and In My Darkest Hour does rock!

I dont know Omen, gotta check em out.

They aren't really comparable to Manowar at all except in some lyrical themes, but Battle Cry is a great album if you're into straight-forward USPM. Everything they did afterwards was forgettable at best with the possible exception of their newest, which I had heard a couple of songs from (and they were surprisingly great and in the rough style of Battle Cry) but I never got around to buying the album because last I checked I'd have to buy it from an Italian label for ~$25.

EDIT: Wait, apparently the new album still isn't even out yet. Must have confused them for someone else.

Hmmmm, let me see what i have ....

Iron Maidens best album is their S/T.

Peace Sells... is the weakest out of Megadeth's first four albums.

Omen > Manowar

Deep Purple > Led Zeppelin

Blue cheese > ranch

Maiden: I'm more empathetic to this view than I used to be, but no. I assume you're just not crazy about Dickinson's vocals?

Megadeth: Really glad to hear that. I only recently started to give more time to Megadeath and loved RIP but found Peace Sells pretty average. Good to hear the other albums are better.

I used to be a huge Judas Priest fanboy, but I've come to the conclusion that they have never put out a 100% solid album. There is always filler or awkward moments. Also, there 70s stuff is fine, but not what I listen to them for. Defenders of the Faith is their best album, it's better than Stained Class, even though it isn't perfect.

Megadeth: Really glad to hear that. I only recently started to give more time to Megadeath and loved RIP but found Peace Sells pretty average. Good to hear the other albums are better.

Depending on your reasons, you probably won't agree with him there. Particularly so considering your opinions on Killers and other things.

EDIT: And Twilight Zone aside (which doesn't count), every song on Killers is masterful. Maiden's greatest album, even if Piece of Mind and Powerslave feature more ambitious and pioneering songs.

I used to be a huge Judas Priest fanboy, but I've come to the conclusion that they have never put out a 100% solid album. There is always filler or awkward moments. Also, there 70s stuff is fine, but not what I listen to them for. Defenders of the Faith is their best album, it's better than Stained Class, even though it isn't perfect.

Yet you cite an album that rapidly falls into fillerville after the fourth track. Sad Wings through Stained Class have no filler. Relatively weaker songs, sure, but no filler. Every track stands out at a minimum as something different from its peers, and the only part I would describe as an awkward moment between the three is the handclapping in Starbreaker.

Its advantages (and they're pretty big ones admittedly) are diversity and that Phantom of the Opera could be considered the first proper Maiden epic, which Killers lacks. Otherwise, Killers is supreme. Easily their strongest album rhythm-wise, Smith owns Stratton several times over, the production is miles ahead, Di'Anno is more in his comfort zone vs some awkward singing attempts earlier, and the intensity is them at their top as well. That said, with Birch producing the S/T there's probably a decent chance that it could have won out, especially if you listen to how flat songs like their eponymous, Sanctuary, and Running Free sound on record vs their BBC and Metal for Muthas versions.

I think the main reason i dont like it as much is because it's where they started sounding like the band they would later become. And Di'Anno vocals don't sound as good, mainly because he's trying/being forced to actually sing. I like just about every track on the S/T, but with Killers, i start getting bored at about 10 minutes in.

Huh, I've never heard anyone say that it sounds more like their later material. Usually the typical criticism is to say that it's composed of leftovers from the mid/late-70's. I realize that a lot of the faults of the S/T aren't really due to the band at all but rather the circumstances of being a young band with little leeway against their major label with a producer that wasn't into the kind of music they played, but regardless it all still effects the final product.

What? You can clearly hear them developing what would later become their signature sound with Killers. You even said yourself that Phantom of the Opera was the first of many of their epics that would later come. And did you just say Di'Anno has awkward singing moments on the first album? LOL. The guy is clearly being forced to sing and hit notes that he woudln't have even tried on Killers, which drags it down a bit more for me.

I explicitly stated that Killers lacks said epic song. Remember Tomorrow also stands out as being more melodic and less immediate than the faster and more aggressive songs from the first two, putting it more in line with Dickinson-era Maiden. Unsurprisingly, Remember Tomorrow is also the one Di'Anno-era song that Dickinson beats Di'Anno at (see: Into the fiiiiire / Light up the skyyyy for awkward Di'Anno singing (although I always did like how in the latter he does this kind of moan that sounds like a succubus being killed in the original Diablo game)). Examples of his singing that bother you on Killers?

I actually think his singing is better on Killers, it sounds more natural and well suited to the shorter faster songs on the album. He seems to force the long notes out to much on the S/T.

The things that let the S/T down are the inferior production, a couple of songs I rate as more average (Sanctuary, Transilvania, Charlotte the Harlot) than the usual high standard, and I also think as an album it doesn't flow well.

But from Killers I just think as songs you can't beat the combo that starts off of Ides, Wrathchild and Murders...

It definitely doesn't sound more natural ... but i can see how some people(or most maybe) would prefer his style on Killers more. I think the more raw and punky vocals on the first matched the speed and energy much more than him trying to sound somewhat melodic.

Depending on your reasons, you probably won't agree with him there. Particularly so considering your opinions on Killers and other things.

EDIT: And Twilight Zone aside (which doesn't count), every song on Killers is masterful. Maiden's greatest album, even if Piece of Mind and Powerslave feature more ambitious and pioneering songs.

I would probably give Killers like a 6/10. It's just not very good. I don't know how it could be your favorite. I guess our brains are just wired very differently.

Yet you cite an album that rapidly falls into fillerville after the fourth track. Sad Wings through Stained Class have no filler. Relatively weaker songs, sure, but no filler. Every track stands out at a minimum as something different from its peers, and the only part I would describe as an awkward moment between the three is the handclapping in Starbreaker.

I don't know if I would call Last Rose of Summer filler as much as a fisasterous failure of an expiriment, but it's a comically bad song. Other than that, everything on Sad Wings, Sin After Sin and Stained Class ranges from very good to great.