Controversial opinions on metal

I would take all of those and the Ripper albums over Painkiller.

What does Jugulator have that Painkiller needs? I know there's a number of people that consider Painkiller to be brainless and more about heaviness than anything else, but Jugulator just took that into a groove metal aesthetic.

Burn in Hell is pretty cool too. I'd say Jugulator is better than Ram it Down but not really better than Painkiller (maybe almost equal though).

If you stuck Burn in Hell and Cathedral Spires on Ram it Down (with Ram it Down production, not that it's any better, but for consistency, and Rob's vocals on those tracks), also keeping hard as iron, Blood Red Skies and hmmm, not sure what else, then you'd have a good album

So Cathedral Spires alone puts it above Painkiller? Ok.

Priest was a major pioneer of early lightspeed metal, but many (maybe a majority) of their best songs are their ballads and otherwise softer songs.

Correct. Their brilliance, consistency, and innovation span many albums in many forms. tbh I bet that on this forum Sad Wings and Stained Class would dominate in a favorite Priest thread, but they have several albums which are often considered their best. Of course, to be fair, the same applies to Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden, both of which and far less consistent careers.

I think Iron Maiden had a much more consistent career. They've had a much more consistent sound anyway, although I know that's not the point. In terms of album quality, although I generally prefer Judas Priest to some degree, I think Maiden have actually solid albums, like Powerslave and the S/T.

Judas Priest is just a weird band. Sad Wings of Destiny, Sin After Sin, Stained Class, Screaming for Vengeance, Defenders of Faith and Painkiller are all phenomenal, but Point of Entry, Turbo, Ram it Down and the ones with the other singer are all flat out bad albums. Not relatively speaking; just bad by any standard. Not many bands have such a large mix of highs and lows.

Ram it Down doesn't deserve to be lumped in with that other stuff. If released by any other band it would be a cult traditional metal classic.

They rip of a whitesnake riff on one of the songs (like a really key riff) can't remember which songs though. Hard as Iron, Ram it Down and Blood Red Skies are ok though. I'm a rocker is a bit shit.

1010862_490164384400207_1307349372_n.jpg