Controversial opinions on metal

Go listen to your manowar albums bru ...
manowar1.jpg

:lol: wtf

:lol: I feel sorry for anyone that would think Megadeth is a underground band ... they're one of the most popular metal bands around. Maybe those posters were like 10 years old and jsut getting into metal?

Oh and touring with metalcore bands dosn't really mean sanything, a shit load of bands have.

Yes, but an "underground" band won't be co-headlining with Suicide Silence or Avenged Sevenfold.

Yes, but an "underground" band won't be co-headlining with Suicide Silence or Avenged Sevenfold.

Right. All of those bands are commercial acceptable. Some bands are really popular in the Death Metal scene but not much elsewhere. I'd say Deicide and Morbid Angel aren't mainstream metal like Metallica, Megadeth, Suicide Silence, and especially A7X. Cannibal Corpse have gotten way more popular than I expected being that their merch is sold at every Hot Topic and many other stores. Torture made it into the top 30 when it debuted if I'm correct.

I guess Jim Carey helped them out a lot, as did the ubiquity of their album covers. I'm not saying they're bad though. I just never really got into them. Seem average to me. I've heard good songs by them but don't remember the titles.

I guess Jim Carey helped them out a lot, as did the ubiquity of their album covers. I'm not saying they're bad though. I just never really got into them. Seem average to me. I've heard good songs by them but don't remember the titles.

Seeing them on Ace Ventura sparked my interest in Death Metal like a lot of people. Tomb of the Mutilated is a classic album...the rest of their catalog is boring with the exception of a few good songs here and there. I honestly don't favor the vocals of Corpsegrinder. He's a cool as fuck guy and I can respect that he's talented. Chris Barnes has always been my favorite for some reason, though.

The album with the radar love cover and blonde on the front is a bit crappy. That particular song is listenable though.

Seeing them on Ace Ventura sparked my interest in Death Metal like a lot of people. Tomb of the Mutilated is a classic album...the rest of their catalog is boring with the exception of a few good songs here and there. I honestly don't favor the vocals of Corpsegrinder. He's a cool as fuck guy and I can respect that he's talented. Chris Barnes has always been my favorite for some reason, though.

The Bleeding and the latest CC are awesome. The latest is the album that finally got me to like Corpsegrinder.

You dont like The Curse?
<video>

I have yet to hear their second album .... but from what everyone says, it should be pretty solid.

They abandoned a lot of their raunchy barbarian aggression after the first one, and that was basically what made them stand out to me. With Warning of Death and The Curse they were still writing songs of similar simplicity, but only minority (Warning of Death, Don't Fear the Night, Make Me Your King, ) had the same spirit and intensity. Even of those, a good portion are basically just rehashes of ideas from the first. If those albums had more songs like Holy Martyr and At All Cost, which are much more melodic but still fully within the USPM camp, I'd be fine with the change in style, but there was more of a tendency towards speed metal stuff (which was the weakest portion of Battle Cry anyways) as well. I dunno, despite Kimball's vocals and the entire lineup remaining the same over the three, they don't sound like the same band to me. Battle Cry is an album I could listen to sandwiched between Brocas Helm and Griffin. The others, not at all.

On a different subject, I don't understand how "stoner metal" is a meaningful term when applied to music so blatantly Sabbath-derived like 90's Corrosion of Conformity. Same goes for an album like When the Kite Strings Pop which is full of relatively standard trad/doom metal riffing with a bit of thrash and death metal thrown in, just with distorted screaming and the rare hardcore-influenced song like Toubabo Koomi.

Jimi Hendrix is the best. His guitar is a siren, a beast, sexual energy purified to its essence.

I'll throw out a counter to the anti-Hendrix opinions: of all the rock stars that died young Hendrix is the most tragic. He still had the most to offer, and was only scratching the surface. Rock music would be totally different if he would have lived longer.

Hendrix is obviously one of the best guitarists of all time, but like all fantastic guitarists without a solid band (say, Clapton's solo stuff, Eric Johnson, etc.), the creativity of songwriting suffers.