Controversial opinions on metal

To call Jimi Hendrix boring or to furthermore call him the most overrated guitarist is a perfect example of sheer stupidity. While he *might* not be the greatest, (which Im still willing to debate), he is without a doubt the most influential guitarist to hit the strings and completely revolutionized the way we thought about and used guitars. Not boring and definitely not over-rated.

In his short career of 4 years, Jimi still influences some of the greatest guitarists of today, even 40 years after his death, and will continue to until music is extinct.

Just sit down, watch his performance from Woodstock in 69, and take a lesson in music history and youll see why it was one of the most historic music events to take place, and why he truly is without a doubt the most innovative and influential guitarist the world has seen to date.

Agreed. I own his BBC sessions 2CDs set and it rocks, I listen to it quite often. Definitely great stuff, the man's a Guitar God for fuck sake.

Buzz from the Melvins and Al Cisneros from Sleep and OM have both named Black Flag as a cornerstone of their influences. That's just off the tippy top, and those bands are both monumental. I could find you several more like-minded innovators if you'd like.

Dakryn I think you're mistaking Black Flag with some other band with "flag" in the name. There is a lot of faggot bands like that. Anti-Flag is a super duper gay ass faggot pop punk band for instance.

Well there's a lot of really, really quiet passages, so it demands a quiet setting and and full attention. It's like listening to a symphony. If the records to click for you, I'd recomend just seeing them live.

Best rock symphony, yes :) only part that annoys me is the dumb k-mart clip or whatever it is.

Fleshgod Apocalypse, Revocation and Arsis are pure shit.

"Party thrash" is musical AIDS. There is nothing worse than bands who sell hipsters a gutted version of "metal authenticity." Why hate on Emmure when they're so much more honest than Municipal Waste?

Most Norwegian black metal sucks, especially Carpathian Forest and Nattefrost. Also, I would honest to god rather listen to Bring Me the Horizon than any recent Darkthrone album. At least BMTH's recent material shows effort, as opposed to listening to Fenriz suck his own cock.

Killswitch Engage is the worst possible combination of strained, blue-collar aggro and power-bottom emo faggotry.

Deathspell Omega, Funeral Mist, Katharsis, Pseudogod and S.V.E.S.T. are the only good "orthodox" black metal bands; the rest of them are pretty much insipid Marduk clones combined with the kind of pretentiousness that one would expect from Godspeed You! Black Emperor. Plus, worshiping the version of Satan that the Bible describes is retarded.

I'm not sure what's worse, saying newer Darkthrone like the underground resistence is worse than bring me the horizon, or using bmth as a reference point. One of the worst things I've ever read in this thread.

New Bring Me the Horizon is good. New Darkthrone is self-satisfied tripe.

inb4buttrage

Well I obviously wouldn't listen to Bring Me The Horizon but I agree about new Darkthrone.

EDIT: Leave No Cross Unturned was a fun song though.