Controversial opinions on metal

Honestly, I rarely interact with the kind of people that would jump on that kind of bandwagon, so it doesn't bother me. You're right though, there's no disputing based on the numbers in that Wikipedia page that it's been highly fellated. Can't wait until they become too popular for the Metal-Archives.

I know I'm flogging a dead horse, preaching to the choir and that this is old new but I just have to mention how annoyed I am with how every single metal related review on RYM or Amazon mentions Deafheaven in said review, even if it has absolutely nothing to do with them at all. It could be blackened avant garde folk disco brutal sludgecore and the reviewer would somehow find a way to work something about deafheaven in there. They usually sound like "in a post deafheaven world" or "deafheaven this" or "deafheaven that" or "sunbather was leik so innovative and inovativey that it's like innovative"

I actually liked Sunbather. A lot. But the sheer amount of praise they've received is almost disgusting. Bands have been incorporating post rock and shoegaze into metal/black metal for years now. Why are so many people under the impression that they "saved" or "brought black metal out of the dark ages"?

Progressive dreamfunk with disco influences, gosh. :V

But in all seriousness, I like Sunbather too. Not innovative though.

I know I'm flogging a dead horse, preaching to the choir and that this is old new but I just have to mention how annoyed I am with how every single metal related review on RYM or Amazon mentions Deafheaven in said review, even if it has absolutely nothing to do with them at all. It could be blackened avant garde folk disco brutal sludgecore and the reviewer would somehow find a way to work something about deafheaven in there. They usually sound like "in a post deafheaven world" or "deafheaven this" or "deafheaven that" or "sunbather was leik so innovative and inovativey that it's like innovative"

I actually liked Sunbather. A lot. But the sheer amount of praise they've received is almost disgusting. Bands have been incorporating post rock and shoegaze into metal/black metal for years now. Why are so many people under the impression that they "saved" or "brought black metal out of the dark ages"?

They're probably casual black metal fans that haven't listened to more than a dozen black metal albums released in the past decade. So to them, it sounds super innovative. But yeah, if you've only listened to a few black or even extreme metal albums from the past decade then you're gonna be using them as a reference-point over and over.

I actually think it's one of the best instances of post-black metal, but it's more unique than innovative. There are no elements on that record that haven't been integrated with black metal before, but few have done it so well.

The moment something becomes popular in the metal genre is the moment all of the "haters" start hating. Its kind of funny really.

I haven't even heard Deafheaven. I honestly had no idea this band was regarded as important in any circles, but it's true I haven't been on RYM for a while.

The moment something becomes popular in the metal genre is the moment all of the "haters" start hating. Its kind of funny really.

Who cares about this anymore??

EDIT: And what in fuck's cunt is this supposed to mean:

Prophet_of_Hatred said:
You missed the most pretentious "black metal" album to be released since Mayhem's De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas.

Imbecilic tryhard self-proclaimed metal elitists, the true warriors of darkness and underground brutality.

It means in my opinion Mayhem was a garbage band that everyone thinks is super kvlt and awesome even though they only achieved their cult following for reasons I shouldn't have to point out.

I always saw Mayhen as just fuckin funny, like listening to Timmy and the Lords of the Underworld.

Also, that reminds me... mammal sauce.

I actually think it's one of the best instances of post-black metal, but it's more unique than innovative. There are no elements on that record that haven't been integrated with black metal before, but few have done it so well.

I'd have no issue with people thinking this if anything about the album beyond the vocals had fuck all to do with black metal.

It is an Envy clone with BM-esque vocals.

Imbecilic tryhard self-proclaimed metal elitists, the true warriors of darkness and underground brutality.

You've got a bit of a chip on your shoulder there, broski. Did your ex break up with you because you weren't kvlt enough, or are you just making blanket statements for max troll effect?

I'd have no issue with people thinking this if anything about the album beyond the vocals had fuck all to do with black metal.

It is an Envy clone with BM-esque vocals.

That's actually a pretty decent comparison. I'd also agree with crimson on the point that deafheaven didn't innovate the shoegaze/BM blend, but they certainly outdid a number of their predecessors. Still, way overrated and total gobshite on stage.

Disliking DMDS = disliking black metal. Which is ok. Doesn't make your opinion very valuable to black metal listeners, but whatever.

That's actually a pretty decent comparison. I'd also agree with crimson on the point that deafheaven didn't innovate the shoegaze/BM blend, but they certainly outdid a number of their predecessors. Still, way overrated and total gobshite on stage.

I remember you saying you didn't care for them live after you saw them. What was so bad about it? I'm curious because I'm going to see them in March.

I pretty much agree with you there, like I said I actually enjoy the album and band. I just feel that the general attitude/opinion towards the music is misguided, misinformed and poorly constructed.

I don't know a whole lot about screamo or shoegaze and don't pretend to but I do know what they both sound like for the most part (atleast I think I do lol) but deafheaven certainly has an enormous black metal influence in their music. I think saying that there is almost none whatsoever is ridiculous. Sure there is other elements as well but bm is an obvious one for me.