Controversial opinions on metal

I don't think prozak would disagree that good music exists outside of metal. I think he's simply saying that some of that good music has no place in metal, and vice-versa. Which is certainly hard to argue against.

I'd also like to note that both a focus on aesthetics and a sense of xenophobia are tangible in the sentence I quoted, so if we're lining ourselves up for a real argument here, prepare for ad hominems, straw men, ipse dixits and any other fallacy you can imagine.

I will say this. Post-rock/shoegaze/(emo?)/post-hardcore metal hybrids are definitely hitting it off with a fanbase that is not standard fare for metal. When I saw deafheaven in June, there were so many athletic types and cute girls there, you would have thought you were at a reggae concert.

Now, finally, it's a global nightmare. :dopey:

00:00:08 ETHS Crucifère FRANCE
00:03:43 SEPULTURA Refuse/Resist BRAZIL
00:07:00 RAMMSTEIN Reise Reise GERMANY
00:11:12 EGO FALL Legend CHINA
00:16:13 KING DIAMOND Funeral / Abigail DENMARK
00:22:32 MYRATH Merciless Times TUNISIA
00:26:59 IRON MAIDEN The Number of the Beast ENGLAND
00:30:40 ANNIHILATOR King of the Kill CANADA
00:33:46 VADER Carnal POLAND
00:35:53 D'ESPAIRSRAY Garnet JAPAN
00:40:17 SYBREED Bioactive SWITZERLAND
00:46:30 CHILDREN OF BODOM Everytime I Die FINLAND
00:50:32 ACRASSICAUDA Massacre IRAQ
00:56:24 BATHORY Gods of Thunder, of Wind and of Rain SWEDEN
01:02:03 ARKONA Goi Rode Goi RUSSIA
01:05:31 TYR Sinklars Visa FAROE ISLANDS
01:10:25 PARKWAY DRIVE Deliver Me AUSTRALIA
01:14:49 EUPHOREON From The Netherworld NEW ZEALAND
01:20:08 DARK LUNACY Defaced ITALY
01:25:49 DARK MOOR Somewhere In Dreams SPAIN
01:30:39 DIMMU BORGIR The Serpentine Offering NORWAY
01:35:14 METALLICA Enter Sandman USA
01:40:34 EPICA Cry For The Moon HOLLAND
01:47:17 SEPTIC FLESH A Great Mass of Death GREECE

I think it's time to get the army organized and destroy all the greedy. Gold is important to them, they think it has value. Might as well worship the sun and moon.
They are diseased.

Think the dark army is the only force that can.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ What the fuck? How low is your IQ?

What? You gonna pretend you're rich now?

gore-vidal.jpg

I actually find this guy pretty hilarious, it kinda seems he is the same dude as UltimateApathy though. My guess this account here is the full on troll account and UA is the "partially serious but lets make it clear I'm a complete retard account."

I actually find this guy pretty hilarious, it kinda seems he is the same dude as UltimateApathy though. My guess this account here is the full on troll account and UA is the "partially serious but lets make it clear I'm a complete retard account."
:guh:
Said Prophet_of_Hatred. :rolleyes:
Sure, you're someone to take serious. :err:
Go masturbate in the corner. And take your harry potter collectibles with yah. And stay there, fuckhead.

Prophet_of_Hatred - a proper complete retard account.

I know I'm flogging a dead horse, preaching to the choir and that this is old news but I just have to mention how annoyed I am with how every single metal related review on RYM or Amazon mentions Deafheaven in said review, even if it has absolutely nothing to do with them at all. It could be blackened avant garde folk disco brutal sludgecore and the reviewer would somehow find a way to work something about deafheaven in there. They usually sound like "in a post deafheaven world" or "deafheaven this" or "deafheaven that" or "sunbather was leik so innovative and inovativey that it's like innovative"

I actually liked Sunbather. A lot. But the sheer amount of praise they've received is almost disgusting. Bands have been incorporating post rock and shoegaze into metal/black metal for years now. Why are so many people under the impression that they "saved" or "brought black metal out of the dark ages"?

It isn't even black metal...or really metal in any way. It just appropriated some of the black metal aesthetic and fused it with Envy style screamo.

In regards to the 'girlfriend metal' thing... yeah, retarded. That's exactly what I fuckin said, I wanted to see how it'd go over here. The dude who said it's logic is that thrash is the only genre where men can be men and you won't see chicks at the shows except for dykes and girlfriends desperate to save the relationship. Which is also bullshit, because I know more Slayer chick fans than girls who have even heard of the doom subgenre.

I know I'm flogging a dead horse, preaching to the choir and that this is old new but I just have to mention how annoyed I am with how every single metal related review on RYM or Amazon mentions Deafheaven in said review, even if it has absolutely nothing to do with them at all. It could be blackened avant garde folk disco brutal sludgecore and the reviewer would somehow find a way to work something about deafheaven in there. They usually sound like "in a post deafheaven world" or "deafheaven this" or "deafheaven that" or "sunbather was leik so innovative and inovativey that it's like innovative"

I actually liked Sunbather. A lot. But the sheer amount of praise they've received is almost disgusting. Bands have been incorporating post rock and shoegaze into metal/black metal for years now. Why are so many people under the impression that they "saved" or "brought black metal out of the dark ages"?

I've seen more backlash against them than anything tbh, but regarding the praise, you can probably just thank Pitchfork and their devout.

Just look at wikipedia's page for Sunbather and then look at the accolades section. Doesn't that just make you sick to your stomach or what? And don't get me started with Pitchfork. RYM has just about every "professional" critic and pretentious music snob in the world lining up to filate them and anything that has the word "post" in the genre. (New Alcest comes to mind)