Controversial opinions on metal

God yes, Beyond Creation is cringe worthy.
Spawn of Possession still blows me away. crazy ass damn good guitarists...
Hell, the whole band is unreal.
They're actually pretty damn catchy too.

I don't find Spawn of Possession even remotely "catchy". Really they're about as far away from catchy metal music as possible. Also to say black metal is worse than the legion of Pantera clones and shitty metalcore/deathcore/nu metal music that they started is utterly ridiculous.

Pantera along with Metallica are the bands that substituted image for music and turned metal into a trend.

I'll take rednecks over the alternative. At least fifth rate brocore has something resembling riffs.

Not everything needs riffs. If you want to say that the riffless Black Metal isn't actually Metal, fine I'll get behind that, but you don't need riffs for something to be good. Is Brocore of higher quality than Classical? Because Classical doesn't have riffs.

I don't find Spawn of Possession even remotely "catchy". Really they're about as far away from catchy metal music as possible.

Seems to me that you havent listened to Cabinet yet, give the album a shot, it's a different beast from their other two. I think you might actually like it. But yea, their last album is very intense and far from catchy to untrained ears. It's about as close as death metal can get to an intense classical composition.

Pantera along with Metallica are the bands that substituted image for music and turned metal into a trend.

While I agree on Metallica susbstituting image for music, that was later on in their career .... after releasing four of the greatest metal albums of all time. So regardless of how shitty are right now, they will always be considered one of the greats. That being said, i haven't heard their last few albums.

Cmon Krig, Beyond Creation arent that bad. The Aura is a pretty sick album.

At least I can be in the mood for black metal/ambient hybrids. Whatever mood you need to be in to listen to stuff like Beyond Creation and enjoy it, I've never been in.

Pantera pioneered shit metal.

I have been attributing to them the origin of bro-core.

Like Biohazard and other post-Agnostic Front tuffguy NYHC bands, Pantera picked up the angry posturing and repetitive rhythmic tropes, and then added their own southern-fried fratboy take to it.

This has inspired generations of bands to essentially head for the rap/rock + breakdowns model of metal, which is what Pantera introduced.

Nothing against them personally; great people, and I'm sorry for the tragedies that have befallen them. But they ruined metal.

I'm pretty sure after years of being on these boards with Krow that he certainly is not a fan of modern-tech death, he'll probably even tell you himself.

Not liking every single band? What does that even mean? What, you think there are only like 10-15 tech-death bands? Theres only a handfull of bands that i really like. And i've probably listened to more shittier bands than what you've heard so far of the whole sub genre.

Waiting for a .... "fwiw tech death isnt a sub-genre".

Oh and i wasnt going for a certain phrase, smart ass. It's pretty self-explanatory, right?

You are easily the most annoying person here since ... shit, i dont even remember, but you're annoying as fuck.

Not everything needs riffs. If you want to say that the riffless Black Metal isn't actually Metal, fine I'll get behind that, but you don't need riffs for something to be good. Is Brocore of higher quality than Classical? Because Classical doesn't have riffs.

No, but I don't listen to classical expecting metal. A significant portion of black 'metal' artists just re-appropriate the sounds of other non-metal genres with only shit production, shrieking, and maybe some repetitive tremolo picked riffs to provide the semblance of metal. What I love is how all it takes is Pitchfork's praise for the fans of those same artists to turn on a band like Deafheaven (and there are many worse offenders than them).

Black metal doesnt have riffs??? :lol:

I should have said black 'metal', my apologies.

I have been attributing to them the origin of bro-core.

Like Biohazard and other post-Agnostic Front tuffguy NYHC bands, Pantera picked up the angry posturing and repetitive rhythmic tropes, and then added their own southern-fried fratboy take to it.

This has inspired generations of bands to essentially head for the rap/rock + breakdowns model of metal, which is what Pantera introduced.

Nothing against them personally; great people, and I'm sorry for the tragedies that have befallen them. But they ruined metal.

What rap/rock Pantera songs are these? I'm not going to say there aren't any because I hardly listen to the majority of their discography, but I'm guessing it's a very minor component at most.

"More shittier"

You seem to only be interested in the "maintream" bands in the genre so.....

No, i'm interested in the good ones ... and like i said, i've listened to a LOT of tech-death throughtout the years. Listened to "more shittier" TDM bands than you can even think of. So i think i know which one deserve praise, regardless of them being known or not.

Speaking of "maintream", how the fuck does that word even get used with tech-death? :confused:

Some of the bands you listed have over 2 million views on individual YouTube videos.

That's good to know you've listened to more tech-death than me, does this make you more br00tal or something?

tommy-lee-jones-implied-face-palm.png