Controversial opinions on metal

Have you actually ever listened to that fucking song?

Yeah, although start-to-finish only a few times since it's so long and easily skipped. It's kind of like the long silence bands sometimes put at the end as a joke, but with slightly more going on. Schaffer gets a lot of shit for his repetitive triplet riffs, but for the most part Burnt Offerings avoids them, with the exception of that one song where it's 16 minutes of boring riff tedium.

Yeah, although start-to-finish only a few times since it's so long and easily skipped. It's kind of like the long silence bands sometimes put at the end as a joke, but with slightly more going on. Schaffer gets a lot of shit for his repetitive triplet riffs, but for the most part Burnt Offerings avoids them, with the exception of that one song where it's 16 minutes of boring riff tedium.

Do you not like music heavier than say thrash metal? I think the song is extremely heavy especially for something labeled "thrash/power metal"

I've been asked if I ever get sick of that riff as technical deathers scoff at my taste in music. In regards to Iced Earth and most stoner metal.

The truth is... I don't. I can hear that same shit over and over again no problem. And it's usually layered anyways.

Yeah I have a friend who pretty much likes anything if it is "technical" and pretty much only listens to death metal. I find him really close minded, he also doesn't take suggestions from anyone unless he thinks they're kvlt or underground and then he complains about metal elitists and self proclaimed "true metal warriors"

People obsessed with the culture who only listen to underground shit are usually trying to prove something. All they prove to me is that they don't actually dig the music, they dig the look.

People obsessed with the culture who only listen to underground shit are usually trying to prove something. All they prove to me is that they don't actually dig the music, they dig the look.

Spot on, most of these people say oh this album is bad blah blah blah, if I ask them how they're bad they're unable of elaborating even a little bit, which tells me they don't know anything about music and don't care for it.

Tech death metal is the gayest shit ever anyway.

Yeah I agree, I like technical death metal that has something else to it, for example brutal technical death metal like Suffocation, its not just technical to be technical its technical because the musicians are capable. Also some 90's tech death which sounds nothing like the 50 billion Necrophagist clones out there today.

Night of the Stormrider would be my favorite, I just cant get into Greelys vocals fully, but holy fuck, the guitar work on that album is so solid.

Id put them in this order, personally:

Something Wicked - Night of the Stormrider - Iced Earth - Burnt Offerings - Horror Show - Dark Saga - Dont really care after this point.

Horror Show - Night of the Stormrider - Something Wicked - meh

I'm fine with old school death that's technical. I'm fine with brutal death with technical flare. I'm not fine with weedily weedily sweep this has no heavyness tech death.

I would love to hear what the "right stuff" is then.

Give me an example.

Just check out most of the tech death i post in the NP thread. I can sit here and type up a whole damn page for you ... From Atheist to Spawn of Possession .... from Cryptopsy, Death, Suffocation and Gorguts all the way down to Obscura, Martyr, Gorod, Origin and Pyscroptic ... just to name a few.

Even if it has some heavy moments, the wanky bullshit turn me off from what else is going on.

Bands like Necrophagist, Spawn of Possession, Obscura, Decrepit Birth, or the god awful Brain Drill is what Im referring to specifically.

As far as technical death metal is concerned, I really only listen to Ulcerate and Hour of Penance.

EDIT: Yeah, its just not my cup of tea I guess.

I'm fine with old school death that's technical. I'm fine with brutal death with technical flare. I'm not fine with weedily weedily sweep this has no heavyness tech death.

Exactly, Spawn of Possession, Arkaik, Obscura etc, complete garbage, literally makes my ears hurt. Its just so boring and tryhard.

Just check out most of the tech death i post in the NP thread. I can sit here and type up a whole damn page for you ... From Atheist to Spawn of Possession .... from Cryptopsy, Death, Suffocation and Gorguts all the way down to Obscura, Martyr, Gorod, Origin and Pyscroptic ... just to name a few.

The old bands sound nothing like what I am referring to specifically, basically anything that came from the "Necrophagist" sound is boring and unlistenable. Gorod and Origin I really dislike, Psycroptic is a good exception, their shit is really heavy and intricate, I wouldn't listen to it often though.

Most of the tech-death of today sounds nothing like actual death metal to me, too much shit on the high strings and most of the vocals are usually higher pitched growls and the bands aren't focused on being heavy or brutal but fast and intricate. Psycroptic actually for me would lie right in between these two sounds.