Controversial opinions on metal

Ah Summoning. One of the greatest acts in metal. The music is rich, sweeping, majestic, triumphant and evil at once. The abundance of reverb enhances the experience. Lyrically the music is obviously appealing to fans of fantasy. Musically it is accessible to most extreme metal fans, though track duration may be a problem for some. Each release is pretty similar but so far that hasn't been a detractor. There are two vocalists which keeps things fresh to some degree. I think a big appeal is that it's not your typical black metal so it feels different and refreshing. I find how the vocals are drawn out to be quite relaxing too.

As much as I enjoy power metal here and there... I always kinda group people whose primary metal diet consists of it into the 'nerdy, awkward white knight' types. I know a kid who just perfectly exemplifies this, he has long blonde hair, glasses, and throws his 40k pieces every time he loses a game. He tries to be friends with everybody. Real nice dude, cool usually, but idk. Hard to explain.

Pretty much this in a nutshell.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, the most embarrassingly nerdy metal guy I've ever seen had long formerly-blonde straight hair, glasses, and a Sonata Arctica t-shirt with a wolf on it. Even the only tr00 black metal guy I've seen was less pathetic than that (albeit uglier).

EDIT: There was no power metal in that video.

I love Summoning. Admittedly, I do like old Summoning more than the new because it has less of the fantasy and more of the "raw" aspect. But fuck, I love Final Fantasy and seriously their music reminds me a lot of the FF games i played as a kid. If i could be paid for playing fantasy games all day, i think i'd take that job.

In regards to nerds, i'd say most of my metalhead friends (including myself) are somewhat nerdy… even the cool ones. I dig it, though. I actually find a lot of prog metalheads to be kind of similar to what you mention… and oftentimes really difficult to have a conversation with.

I'm finding some of Summoning's material to be a little too indulgent in the keyboardy stuff. Sometimes I like it and other times I feel like it's cheesy and cheaply done.

^ ummm of course, that's what it's all about. A lot of the melodies sound like they came right out of a NES game. Corny as shit, but entertaining as hell. If you find that stuff too cheesy to handle, methinks Summoning ain't your bag.

Yeah, the most embarrassingly nerdy metal guy I've ever seen had long formerly-blonde straight hair, glasses, and a Sonata Arctica t-shirt with a wolf on it. Even the only tr00 black metal guy I've seen was less pathetic than that (albeit uglier).

EDIT: There was no power metal in that video.

Haha yeah the Sonata Arctica shirt pretty much sums it up too. Bunch of Toki Wartooth acting mofos.

Wolf_tshirt.htm

http://www.birkoph.com/Wolf_tshirt.htm

This is brilliant. Want.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Three-Wolf-Moon-Shirt-Parody/dp/B00CXWBK2K/ref=pd_sbs_a_2"]http://www.amazon.com/Three-Wolf-Moon-Shirt-Parody/dp/B00CXWBK2K/ref=pd_sbs_a_2[/ame]

Last off-topic statement... fuck wolf shirts. When I'm hoping to get lucky, I wear one of my various dragon or reaper shirts. It proves how otherworldly and dangerous my genitals are.

Night is the New Day is the best Katatonia album.

Its a good album, but it doesnt come anywhere close to Tonight's Decision, Discouraged Ones, or Last Fair Deal Gone Down.

Its too hard for me to pick a favorite, or a best Katatonia album. I can tell you though that their acoustic remake of Dead End Kings sucked. Only album of theirs Ive been disappointed with.