Controversial opinions on metal

Night is the New Day is the best Katatonia album.

Its a good album, but it doesnt come anywhere close to Tonight's Decision, Discouraged Ones, or Last Fair Deal Gone Down.

Its too hard for me to pick a favorite, or a best Katatonia album. I can tell you though that their acoustic remake of Dead End Kings sucked. Only album of theirs Ive been disappointed with.

Good to see people liking Katatonia's new stuff rather than copping out and saying DoDs or Brave Murder Day is their best.

Explain the logic behind this diction choice, please. Not that I'm one of those annoying BMD fanboys.

Edit: also, since liking Katatonia's metal material is apparently a cop-out, I would just like to say that Discouraged Ones easily trumps the rest of Katatonia's rock catalog.

It's quite strange to realize the polarization caused by the band's early and later stuff. Their old forum turned into a fighter's pit between old and new fans.

IMO NITND is far and away their darkest, most melancholic and angst-filled work. Dead End Kings is also great. In fact, I'm of the persuasion that they actually get better with each album. I'd take the last three records over the first three.

As much as I love old Katatonia. Dead End Kings is some of the best stuff they have done.

Explain the logic behind this diction choice, please. Not that I'm one of those annoying BMD fanboys.

Edit: also, since liking Katatonia's metal material is apparently a cop-out, I would just like to say that Discouraged Ones easily trumps the rest of Katatonia's rock catalog.

I'd like to explain the logic behind my dick instead. See what I did there?

I'm just saying that it's popular in this community to only like the first few albums a band puts out and write off the rest of the band's material.

My favorites are The Great Cold Distance and Viva Emptiness

I'd like to explain the logic behind my dick instead. See what I did there?

I'm just saying that it's popular in this community to only like the first few albums a band puts out and write off the rest of the band's material.

My favorites are The Great Cold Distance and Viva Emptiness

I see. Fair enough. Though I would say the problem is doubled in a case like Katatonia's. Not only will it be popular to like earlier albums, but those earlier albums are metal, not alternative rock, which certainly makes the choice a little more biased in this community.

However, I can appreciate both eras. I love DoDS and DO all the way through. After that their whole discography is somewhat hit or miss, with pretty much every release having a filler here and there.

Yeah I just don't like Katatonia at all, not even their early stuff. I suppose if I had to listen to anything, it would be the earlier stuff but I feel like Opeth's and My Dying Bride's earliest output are similar and I would rather listen to them.

It's quite true that they have more filler on their albums that the average band. Some songs just go absolutely nowhere, while others are brilliant. It's why NITND is so killer for me. Only one filler song on the record, IMO.

Yeah I just don't like Katatonia at all, not even their early stuff. I suppose if I had to listen to anything, it would be the earlier stuff but I feel like Opeth's and My Dying Bride's earliest output are similar and I would rather listen to them.

Yup. Never got into Katatonia either.

It just gets a little too 'electric' for me at times, if you know what I mean. A lot of their music lacks a fuzzy warmth that I find somewhat necessary in that type of atmosphere.

Granted I definitely haven't listened to much. I listened to some album or another awhile back, didn't like it, didn't bother with anymore.

Shut up Hamboy, I've had my trademark on "feelings metal" on multiple forums for some time now, and if you're going to use it, you'd best use it in the right context.

Anyway, it would depend on what you mean by greatest feelings metal band. Do you mean:

1) The feelings metal band that writes better music than all the other feelings metal band
2) The feelings metal band that is the most feelings. Like the blackest black metal band, or the doomiest doom metal band, ya know?

I am undecided on #1, but I think the clear answer to #2 is Opeth, because you can't possibly shoehorn their lyrics and melodies and such into some gothic/black metal stereotype. That shit about Malinda is alllll feelings metal, bro.

I meant #1, although considering your second option I get the feeling I don't know what feelings metal is (unless you used black and doom metal only because they're inherently feelingsy styles vs, say, the deathliest death metal band which likely has no feelings-dependence).

Of all Northern European feelings metal Opeth is likely the one I'm most partial to, but I still have a hard time caring about them. The rest (Katatonia, Amorphis, Tiamat, etc) I can hardly even force myself to listen to. It's basically alternative metal for pallid Sisters of Mercy-listening Europeans. Same goes for all those English doom/death bands by the mid 90's. If it wasn't for the fetishization of contemporary European pop culture by the American left, people wouldn't even consider that shit to be metal.

EDIT: But to be fair, right-wing neo-Nazi sentiment plays a part in the double-standard too. All that damn funk and rap influence in American groove/nu metal invalidates its metal qualities, but cheap imitations of European folk and classical? Sign me up! All that rhythm and syncopation shit is for people of African descent. Give me something bleak and mopey with endless tremolo-picking unchanging in note duration, post-punk or black metal, I don't care, that's the shit that's metal.

I don't know which I hate more tbh. Probably adding clumsy violin and cello to your shitty folky rock band and calling it "symphonic metal". Also doing a hip hop song with screaming instead of rapping and adding slamming chugs underneath to call it "extreme".

And if "feelings metal" is like new Opeth or Katatonia then that's not even metal at all, same as nu metal.

And it's also usually pretty bad.