Controversial opinions on metal

If it already fits well into a genre, that doesn't eliminate the chance that it could just be a blackgaze band with significant feelings metal influences.

Then dude, that band feels so hard it turned me off. For realsies.

And for documentation purposes, Alcest's live delivery detracts from the feelingsiness of their production. They are quite dry. But they do nail all their vocal harmonies and I can't say that for many bands I've seen.

Most metal has pretty strong feelings. Generally it's an extremely emotional genre of music. I feel no less feeling in Slayer for example, then I do in My Dying Bride. It's just a different milieu of feelings.

Then dude, that band feels so hard it turned me off. For realsies.

And for documentation purposes, Alcest's live delivery detracts from the feelingsiness of their production. They are quite dry. But they do nail all their vocal harmonies and I can't say that for many bands I've seen.

I agree. I found their live show to be pretty flat, emotionally speaking.

Most metal has pretty strong feelings. Generally it's an extremely emotional genre of music. I feel no less feeling in Slayer for example, then I do in My Dying Bride. It's just a different milieu of feelings.

We're not talking just any old emotions. We're talking FEELINGS, bro. As in, "everyone at UM made fun of me for having sex with children, and it hurt my feelings." We're talking about metal that could feasibly be influenced by The Notebook, bro.

I'm feelin' it, some special feelin's creepin' in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dance of December Souls is definitely their best followed by Discouraged Ones. Tomb of Insomnia is a dynamic/perfect song.

I think Anathema would be my favorite "Notebook Metal" band. And the guy with the curly blond hair (guitarist) is a sweetheart. Was standing in front of rite aid after their show and he came out and just started talking and then asked if we could take "an American selfie pic." irrelevant,yes, but definitely reaffirms their "Notebook metal-ness"

Actually, thinking a bit more about it, Fear of God and Depressive Age could definitely be classified as feelings metal from the pov of requiring self-pitying and whining. I think I just have a thing for feelingsthrash. Even Coroner has their moments of what is basically proto-feelingsthrash.

I don't know what's going on
I don't know what's happened to you
Yesterday we were one
Now, I don't even know your name

Standing in front of a wall
Hitting it with my fists
But you can't hear
'Cos we're so far apart

I'd like to understand
What's going on deep in your mind
Why you've destroyed the spell
And how you can be so cool 'bout that

I see you smile it's like a punch in my face
Can't you feel my bleeding heart
Is that you who's standing next to me
Or just a shadow, of a dream I lost

I mean damn does that hit you right in the feels.

I think Anathema would be my favorite "Notebook Metal" band. And the guy with the curly blond hair (guitarist) is a sweetheart. Was standing in front of rite aid after their show and he came out and just started talking and then asked if we could take "an American selfie pic." irrelevant,yes, but definitely reaffirms their "Notebook metal-ness"

Y'know there's two guys in Anathema who play the guitar and have curly blonde hair... Vincent and Danny Cavanagh.

Funerary_Doom, I'm not sure if I would classify early Anathema as full-on feelings metal or not. I mean, there are definitely a few doom/gothic elements there. But yeah, some definite influences. As for later Anathema, feelings pop...yeah...I could see that.

Also the term 'feelings metal' makes me think of women... which makes me think of all the excellent bands that were desecrated by the transferal of female back up vocalists to front-women.

I have yet to see a band where this change was beneficial. Arch Enemy got away with it pretty decently, but still not as good.

Arch Enemy with Johan Liiva >>> Arch Enemy with Angela Gossow

AND

Post Eternity Anathema >>> Pre Eternity Anathema

Anathema is seriously one of my favorite "Notebook metal" bands. (If you can even classify their shit as metal)

Post Eternity Anathema is in no way metal. As I said. Notebook metal through Eternity. Feelings pop after.