Controversial opinions on metal

Goregrind is awesome, as is grindcore.

Power electronics and martial industrial are some of the best non-metal genres to come out in the past 30 years

Black metal is best when it's either imitating Blasphemy or Burzum.

Most prog/power blows. Except US power metal. prog is only good when it's non metallic, either in basic rock form or electronic or folk.

Dark ambient rules

Strong/consistent discographies are overvalued. I think Hammers of Misfortune and Slough Feg are the only bands I've followed enough to be able to make a claim on their overall output of the last decade tbh. In general, just give me the highlights now plz.

I think a pretty decent argument can be made for Drudkh, Weakling, Bethlehem, and all derivatives thereof tracing their roots back to Hvis Lyset Tar Oss. In Burgerboian, that translates to Burzum worship. He has always cradled the thought that fresh ideas spring up free of inspiration and outside influence.

The only influence of a true metal band is a hammer and forge, and possibly a circular block of very hard wood to shape it into form.

The vast majority of drone is some Emperor's New Clothes shit. Play ultra slow with no concern for rhythm, melody, or structure, but as long as it's loud as fuck people will say it's genius.

I think I may have mentioned this before, but I preferred Johan Langquist's vocals on Candlemass versus Messiah. I will agree Messiah is the more unique, stronger voice of the two, and a great deal more responsible for their popularity, but I prefer deeper vocals in general.

I agree. Johan Längqvist > Messiah

But that's only because EDM is their best album IMO.

Langquist is superior in every way. Not controversial at all.

He has always cradled the thought that fresh ideas spring up free of inspiration and outside influence.

Nah. I don't really consider Drudkh a clone or anything, but I don't know any bands that literally just imitate Burzum, and they are probably the most obvious major influence/point of comparison. The main point I was trying to get across is that Drudkh is bad music.

I prefere Johan Längqvist. Messiahs best vocals are on the s/t Candlemass from 2005 imo, which is one of their best albums. I do prefere Rob Lowe also, but he suits Solitude Aeturnus better. I'd rather listen to Solitude Aeturnus than Candlemass.