Controversial opinions on metal

Arch Enemy with Johan Liiva >>> Arch Enemy with Angela Gossow

AND

Post Eternity Anathema >>> Pre Eternity Anathema

Anathema is seriously one of my favorite "Notebook metal" bands. (If you can even classify their shit as metal)

I'll add on to that the unfortunate departure of Lord Vampyr from Theatres des Vampires to make way for some hot goth chick... and basically the same thing with Draconian.

I'm sure there's more I can't think of. But my controversial, or possibly non-controversial, opinion remains thus: You can't take a male-fronted band and turn it into a female-fronted one expecting good results. If somebody has an example to the contrary, I am very much interested.

Arch Enemy with Johan Liiva >>> Arch Enemy with Angela Gossow
I don't like Arch Enemy, but I was under the assumption that the newer stuff with Angela Gossow was considered shit by the most people. The only people I know who like newer Arch Enemy are people with a terrible taste in metal bands.

Post Eternity Anathema >>> Pre Eternity Anathema

Anathema is seriously one of my favorite "Notebook metal" bands. (If you can even classify their shit as metal)

Judgement > Eternity > Alternative 4 > Everything else

That's how I see Anathema. None of their albums are bad per se, but those 3 are clearly ahead of the others in my opinion.

Judgement > Eternity > Alternative 4 > Everything else

That's how I see Anathema. None of their albums are bad per se, but those 3 are clearly ahead of the others in my opinion.

Alternative 4 has some good songs, and so does Eternity, but I personally dont class them that high. The albums are quality from a start to finish perspective, but there are only a few songs on each that I repeatedly come back to. The rest is just filler to me. Good filler, though.

At this moment in time I rank their material as such:
Judgement > Weather Systems > Were Here Cause Were Here > A Fine Day To Exit > A Natural Disaster > Alternative 4 > Eternity.

Even though I put Eternity last, I still love it. I love all their music (Post Eternity). I mean fuck, theyve been one of my all time favorite musical groups for fucking ever.

I like old Anathema. Crestfallen EP, not just musically, but Darren White was the shit. One of my favorite growlers, the band stated he was a terrible vocalist. Vincent Cavanagh can't sing for shit. Atleast Darren was good at what he did.

I'll take post Eternity Anathema over the early stuff. Weather Systems, Alternative 4, and Natural Disaster are great. Yes, it's girlie at times, but fuck it.

Give me BMD and Discouraged Ones over all other Katatonia. I like some others like LFDGD, Tonights Decision and the last one, though. Great Cld Distance and NIND annoy me.

34.78788% Complete is one of MDB's best records.

Y'know there's two guys in Anathema who play the guitar and have curly blonde hair... Vincent and Danny Cavanagh.

I meant Danny, and Vincent does not have blonde hair. He has darker (brown?) hair :p

I like post Eternity Anathema better too. Probably listen to Weather Systems every day. So I guess that's feelings pop according to romanticism.

Yeah I just don't like Katatonia at all, not even their early stuff. I suppose if I had to listen to anything, it would be the earlier stuff but I feel like Opeth's and My Dying Bride's earliest output are similar and I would rather listen to them.

Not even Forsaker? That song is fantabulous.

thats alright. but cavanaugh cant hold a candle to brendan perry.

while enslaved early material is classic, i enjoy the post blodhemn material much more, especially mardraum, monumension, isa, and ruun

Jesu is infinitely more interesting than godflesh

You know, somehow I've never heard Blodhemn. I need to change that ASAP. Can't say I agree about mid-era Enslaved. I mean Enslaved is one of the few bands where every album is good- but I think their best albums are Vikinglir Veldi, Frost and Vertebrae.

as you say, they are all good. the mid period just appeals to me more. the last two are certainly weaker, though the sleeping gods is very good. i like vertebrae as well.