Controversial opinions on metal

New controversial opinion: I'm listening to Running Wild's Black Hand Inn right now, and although I find this album to be a bit repetitive and boring, I've only just now realized how many Viking/black metal-style tremolo-picked riffs this contains, and combined with the silly backing choir keyboards and whatnot, I think it's safe to say that Running Wild makes sympho/whatever black metal unnecessary. Not that black metal's lack of innovation hasn't been repeatedly demonstrated in almost all facets of its existence.

I GIVE UP!

MEGADETH WAS NOT THRASH BAND .... THEY IZ GROOVE METALZ!

METALIICA WAS HARD ROCK BAND ... NEVER THRASH!

DEATH WAS MOST BRUTAL THRASH METAL BAND OF 80's!!

EMPEROR BEST GOTHIC METAL BAND EVAR!!!

SLAYER WAS BEST BLACKENED DEATH METAL BAND OF ALL TIMEZ!

fuck yea guys, lets just start labelling bands which ever way we fucking choose. NO? FUCK YEA!

:lol::lol:

Nice strawmen bro. It's not our fault that you don't know what a thrash riff is.

I couldnt give less of a fuck if anyone talks shit about Megadeth or dave ... people do it all the time. It's just that i find it retardedly hilarious that anyone would say they arent thrash metal or thrashy.

Bullshit. If you found it funny you would just laugh and go with it. You've put effort into this, clearly you're butthurt over the fact that we didn't agree with you.

New controversial opinion: I'm listening to Running Wild's Black Hand Inn right now, and although I find this album to be a bit repetitive and boring, I've only just now realized how many Viking/black metal-style tremolo-picked riffs this contains, and combined with the silly backing choir keyboards and whatnot, I think it's safe to say that Running Wild makes sympho/whatever black metal unnecessary. Not that black metal's lack of innovation hasn't been repeatedly demonstrated in almost all facets of its existence.

Not only is that opinion controversial, but its terrible as well.

I GIVE UP!

MEGADETH WAS NOT THRASH BAND .... THEY IZ GROOVE METALZ!

METALIICA WAS HARD ROCK BAND ... NEVER THRASH!

DEATH WAS MOST BRUTAL THRASH METAL BAND OF 80's!!

EMPEROR BEST GOTHIC METAL BAND EVAR!!!

SLAYER WAS BEST BLACKENED DEATH METAL BAND OF ALL TIMEZ!

fuck yea guys, lets just start labelling bands which ever way we fucking choose. NO? FUCK YEA!

:lol::lol:

Dude calm down and get over it, what the fuck is wrong with you. Do you have to whine about it for another 10 posts?

Not that black metal's lack of innovation hasn't been repeatedly demonstrated in almost all facets of its existence.

You always seem like you listen to metal as some kind of a riff scholar or something. Black metal doesn't aim to innovate the technicality of genres it's based on, it tries to create evil atmosphere and worship satan and shit.

fwiw I'm not saying that Running Wild (at least pirate-era) can compete with the evil atmosphere side of black metal, because they obviously cater to a completely different audience. Just the more melodic and merry Viking-themed black metal bands. Overall, it's just such a silly and gimmick-laden genre. It's like when death metal guys jerk off to their favorite "avant-garde" Carbonized or Disharmonic Orchestra albums despite those containing minimal death metal themselves; if they knew how those metal artists were just loosely incorporating other styles into their own little niche, they would hopefully realize that they've fallen for a sham. Enjoying black metal, with the exception of the very small number of purer acts, is basically admitting that you're a sucker for presentation no matter how inadequate the quality or proportions.

fwiw I'm not saying that Running Wild (at least pirate-era) can compete with the evil atmosphere side of black metal, because they obviously cater to a completely different audience. Just the more melodic and merry Viking-themed black metal bands. Overall, it's just such a silly and gimmick-laden genre. It's like when death metal guys jerk off to their favorite "avant-garde" Carbonized or Disharmonic Orchestra albums despite those containing minimal death metal themselves; if they knew how those metal artists were just loosely incorporating other styles into their own little niche, they would hopefully realize that they've fallen for a sham. Enjoying black metal, with the exception of the very small number of purer acts, is basically admitting that you're a sucker for presentation no matter how inadequate the quality or proportions.

Well we could argue about how large the number of "purer acts" is or what a "purer act" is or about other loose terms hidden in your pretentious diction, but that would be silly. Your problem seems to be that you automatically consider structural simplicity and repetitiveness to be a low quality trait. Or inadequate to the presentation. Your way of judging music isn't human.

Still kicking and screaming.

Possible controversial opinion. Autopsy + Incantation = best death metal bands in existence.

Hey, SGD ... when was the last time you listened to Altars? I clearly agree on that album being nothing but DM, but that is not a good example for the point you're trying to make. As that album(along with the original Abominations and Severed Survival) sound much closer to SBG, Leprosy and the sound of 80's death metal. Blessed Are the Sick and especially The Covenant would have been much better examples for you to use.

Still kicking and screaming.

And you're still nothing more than a toolbox.

Autopsy and Immolation over Bolt Thrower and Incantation any day of the week.

Well we could argue about how large the number of "purer acts" is or what a "purer act" is or about other loose terms hidden in your pretentious diction, but that would be silly. Your problem seems to be that you automatically consider structural simplicity and repetitiveness to be a low quality trait. Or inadequate to the presentation. Your way of judging music isn't human.

Nah, I can buy the appeal of a Transylvanian Hunger or whatever. I personally don't enjoy the minimal side of BM, but I can understand why someone looking for that could enjoy it. My point is that the appeal behind taking common "epic" metal tropes already established in bands like Manowar, Running Wild, etc and massively stretching them out and applying a few aesthetic signifiers on top makes no sense to me.