Controversial opinions on metal

I've said it a hundred times. A lot of bands that "form" a sound don't actually exhibit the hallmarks of what it eventually becomes. Death is the best example of that. Death's sound was too varied and experimental to be "death metal" as we know the sound now.

Even though this entire debate is so retarded that it doesn't even merit serious discussion, I'll offer my two cents anyways. Can anyone honestly explain how Megadeth's early albums AREN'T thrash metal? People think that just because something doesn't sound like Reign in Blood or Darkness Descends it automatically isn't thrash metal. You can have slow to mid paced songs with intro/verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/chorus structures or balad type songs as well. People think thrash metal is old school death metal minus the growling and more distinguishable guitar riffs.

Just because Megadeth doesn't follow the typical straight forward skank beats + tremolo guitars formula doesn't exclude them from the thrash metal umbrella. A thrash metal band can still be heavy/thrashy without moshpit inducing instrumentation, rhythms, time signatures or whatever. People always trying making the claim that their favorite lesser known non big 4 band is superior in someway for the sake of going against the grain. It's actually become a cliche' in and of itself.

I really think it's just because they're so old, they're going to be more influenced by traditional metal than most thrash because metal wasn't really getting ugly yet. Metallica was the same way and for one album, Slayer was also. (And I consider Show No Mercy one of the greatest heavy metal albums ever for what that's worth)

Those bands were basically the fathers of the subgenre, so them being influenced by thrash wouldn't even make sense. But i get what you're saying, thrash in general was influenced by NWOBHM, trad, punk, etc ... unlike the later thrash bands who were influenced by Slayer, Megadeth, Metallica, etc. Influences dont define the music that is being played, Scream Bloody Gore is 100% pure death metal. Are Abominations and Altars not death metal? Is A Blaze in the Northern Sky not black metal? But that's a whole nother story right there. IMO everything Metallica, Slayer and Megadeth played in the 80's is without a doubt thrash metal. Fast, mid-paced, slow, technical or whatever the fuck else you guys want to call it, but 100% thrash metal nonetheless.

Oh and HB that Exodus track and most of that album is the definition of generic mid-paced 80's thrash ... reject tracks that wouldn't have even made it onto any of the albums from the bands we're talking about.

Weird that out of all the places in the world, this forum would be the place that i'd be hearing the nonsense that i've come across in the last few days. I'm going to quote and sig a bunch of you tossers, just to make you guys feel stupid as fuck later on when you come to your senses.

Also, Kara-Shehr is pretty on point up there.

--------------------

"death metal" as we know the sound now.
:lol:

Even though this entire debate is so retarded that it doesn't even merit serious discussion, I'll offer my two cents anyways. Can anyone honestly explain how Megadeth's early albums AREN'T thrash metal? People think that just because something doesn't sound like Reign in Blood or Darkness Descends it automatically isn't thrash metal. You can have slow to mid paced songs with intro/verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/chorus structures or balad type songs as well. People think thrash metal is old school death metal minus the growling and more distinguishable guitar riffs.

Just because Megadeth doesn't follow the typical straight forward skank beats + tremolo guitars formula doesn't exclude them from the thrash metal umbrella. A thrash metal band can still be heavy/thrashy without moshpit inducing instrumentation, rhythms, time signatures or whatever. People always trying making the claim that their favorite lesser known non big 4 band is superior in someway for the sake of going against the grain. It's actually become a cliche' in and of itself.

As I've already said numerous times, it has nothing to do with personal preferences/quality and very little to do with tempo. I'm not saying that the early Megadeth albums can't be called thrash, but they all contain multiple non-thrash songs to the point that Rust in Peace contains more non-thrash than thrash. I don't think anyone has made an argument regarding requiring tremolo picking or early death metal/Slayer-level intensity.

Oh and HB that Exodus track and most of that album is the definition of generic mid-paced 80's thrash ... reject tracks that wouldn't have even made it onto any of the albums from the bands we're talking about.

What's your point? I made no statement over whether or not Braindead was a better song than any of the Megadeth songs I listed above.

So Fade to Black is now 100% thrash metal? lol.

EDIT: And yes, Scream Bloody Gore still has a goodly amount of thrash influence, not 100% death metal.

Weird that out of all the places in the world, this forum would be the place that i'd be hearing the nonsense that i've come across in the last few days. I'm going to quote and sig a bunch of you tossers, just to make you guys feel stupid as fuck later on when you come to your senses.

Go ahead, it's just entertaining that you cry over this :cry:. Can't really see anyone talking shit about Megadeth, only that we do not agree with you that they're Thrash. Interesting that someone can go bananas over that... :lol:

I stand by it. Death was more than just "death metal" and I think if they'd been called something different people wouldn't be so adamant in saying that they're THE DEATH METAL BAND. Chuck was an amazing musician and I don't think it's an insult to the guy to say that his project had a lot more going on than the tickboxes that we associate with "death metal".

If you had to come up with a checklist of what makes up death metal, you'd have a list that's maybe half of what Death had to offer. They planted the seeds, obviously, but where other bands distilled it down to its component parts (Deicide, Morbid Angel, Autopsy), Death kept expanding and growing outward. You want a prototypical example of death metal, throw on Legion or Altars of Madness. That's the sound exemplified. Scream Bloody Gore was how it started, but Death wasn't content to go "yep, we got this sound, let's stick with that."

Someone asks "what kinda band was Death?" and if you go "oh they were death metal" you're REALLY selling the band short.

Go ahead, it's just entertaining that you cry over this :cry:. Can't really see anyone talking shit about Megadeth, only that we do not agree with you that they're Thrash. Interesting that someone can go bananas over that... :lol:

This is how TNB posts, if you disagree with him he kicks and screams and throws a tantrum until you give up, because he literally never will.

Laughing my ass of everytime i came in here in the last few days =/= kicking and screaming.

I couldnt give less of a fuck if anyone talks shit about Megadeth or dave ... people do it all the time. It's just that i find it retardedly hilarious that anyone would say they arent thrash metal or thrashy. And here, of all places was the first time in my life i ever heard anyone say that. :lol: What happened to this forum?

and krow just loves coming in here every time i get into a "controversial" argument with someone and take a cheap shot by throwing in the same ... "kicks, screams, tantrum" comment. :lol: I know you're still mad about being on the losing side of a few of those arguments from years back and i used to make fun of you for listening to deathcore ... but is your butthole still that sore for you to be heckling me with your same old bullshit comments? Lol, you're such a fucking tool bro.

I stand by it. Death was more than just "death metal" and I think if they'd been called something different people wouldn't be so adamant in saying that they're THE DEATH METAL BAND. Chuck was an amazing musician and I don't think it's an insult to the guy to say that his project had a lot more going on than the tickboxes that we associate with "death metal".

If you had to come up with a checklist of what makes up death metal, you'd have a list that's maybe half of what Death had to offer. They planted the seeds, obviously, but where other bands distilled it down to its component parts (Deicide, Morbid Angel, Autopsy), Death kept expanding and growing outward. You want a prototypical example of death metal, throw on Legion or Altars of Madness. That's the sound exemplified. Scream Bloody Gore was how it started, but Death wasn't content to go "yep, we got this sound, let's stick with that."

Someone asks "what kinda band was Death?" and if you go "oh they were death metal" you're REALLY selling the band short.

Nah, his riffcraft was fairly repetitive and he only really had two periods of songwriting, the OSDM of the first three-and-a-half and the slightly tech-y melodic thrash of the last three-and-a-half.

I GIVE UP!

MEGADETH WAS NOT THRASH BAND .... THEY IZ GROOVE METALZ!

METALIICA WAS HARD ROCK BAND ... NEVER THRASH!

DEATH WAS MOST BRUTAL THRASH METAL BAND OF 80's!!

EMPEROR BEST GOTHIC METAL BAND EVAR!!!

SLAYER WAS BEST BLACKENED DEATH METAL BAND OF ALL TIMEZ!

fuck yea guys, lets just start labelling bands which ever way we fucking choose. NO? FUCK YEA!

:lol::lol: