Controversial opinions on metal

See for yourself

I liked that; not my usual thing, but there seemed to be better flow between the metal and non-metal elements vs many of the others mentioned above. I think the doom metal-y approach I'm hearing helped; generally, whenever I hear a male/female duet and strings and "prog" gets bandied about, it means boring Sisters of Mercy-reject riffs and bloated song-lengths, but the icky kind of gothiness doesn't seem present there. I'll give it a shot eventually.

How is the Swedish Shining progressive?

From their willingness to experiment and diversify their music from what was originally a straighter black metal sound.

On V Halmstad for instance, there's Kvarforth's voclas - screaming, deep growls, wimpering, grunts and clean vocals. The guitar playing has progressive riffing and some of the solos are very bluesy, there are many acoustic parts littered through the music, and a number of the songs are in the 8-10 minute mark. There's the use of the piano (one of the songs is a Beethoven cover), and overarching all this is the uncompromising suicidal and depressive subject matter.

It's not your traditional "progressive metal" genre sound (which is probably why they're good) but these elements contribute to their progressive sound from a straight-forward sound.

One time my dad and I were having a metal conversation, which moved to the subject of how all that angsty monotonous radio metal sucks and etc. He listed off a few, Godsmack, Papa Roach, Sevendust, etc until he got to Porcupine Tree. I was like "Wait, Porcupine Tree?" and he's like "Uh, yeah, that's what I have The Incident flagged as", and I remember feeling so pleased with his assessment.

I haven't heard anything from them remotely appealing afaik. Glorified alt rock.

Fear of a blank planet IS the album where porcupine tree just figures..... Well... We could just copy Tool..... Despise both bands.

I absolutely love Tool stoned, but can't stand them sober. It's phenomenal music when you're in that specific state of relaxation and immersion that you can really get into what they're doing. When I'm not stoned it just sounds really unpleasant and boring, with way too much of that crap 90s nu metal vibe at times. I totally get why people love the band, but I also get why they hate them.

One time my dad and I were having a metal conversation, which moved to the subject of how all that angsty monotonous radio metal sucks and etc. He listed off a few, Godsmack, Papa Roach, Sevendust, etc until he got to Porcupine Tree. I was like "Wait, Porcupine Tree?" and he's like "Uh, yeah, that's what I have The Incident flagged as", and I remember feeling so pleased with his assessment.

I haven't heard anything from them remotely appealing afaik. Glorified alt rock.

I can honestly say to group PTree with those bands listed means you don't know what you're talking about. Or haven't really listened to PTree.

Nah its fair to lump a band that sounds like tool in with those bands. Before they copied tool they were copying pink Floyd... At least i could tolerate that stuff (sky moves sideways or whatever its called)

Horribly overrated pseudo intellectual bullshit for stoners (specifically tool)

One of my best friends continually praises Fear of a Blank Planet as one of PTree's greatest, but I cannot get into it for the same reason that I couldn't hop on the Deftones bandwagon late in the game. Too much angst in the lyrics, with the vocals so far in the front of the mix that the angst can't be ignored. My list is often the same as others when it comes to ranking the PTree discography, but I replace FoBP with Deadwing. I'll take the lush textures and surreal platform of songs like "Halo" and "Mellotron Scratch" over that shit any day.

In Absentia is their best by far, though.

Nah its fair to lump a band that sounds like tool in with those bands. Before they copied tool they were copying pink Floyd... At least i could tolerate that stuff (sky moves sideways or whatever its called)

Horribly overrated pseudo intellectual bullshit for stoners (specifically tool)

Yeah, I mean it's clear that Tool writes more involved music than a Chevelle for example, but that doesn't mean that Chevelle and Tool don't sound the same in a lot of ways. It's contemporary alternative butt rock vs progressive contemporary alternative butt rock.

One of my best friends continually praises Fear of a Blank Planet as one of PTree's greatest, but I cannot get into it for the same reason that I couldn't hop on the Deftones bandwagon late in the game. Too much angst in the lyrics, with the vocals so far in the front of the mix that the angst can't be ignored. My list is often the same as others when it comes to ranking the PTree discography, but I replace FoBP with Deadwing. I'll take the lush textures and surreal platform of songs like "Halo" and "Mellotron Scratch" over that shit any day.

In Absentia is their best by far, though.

I know what you mean by the lyrics in FOABP, they are a bit overdone. In Absentia's always been on top of my list too, but I think I listened to it too much when it came out. But I rate FOABP, IA and Deadwing in my top 3.

The Incident was good but there was something missing from it, probably why they effectively broke up and Wilson went to do other stuff. Though the first 3 songs from disc 2 are up there with my favourites of theirs.

And for a fairly consistently good poppier album Stupid Dream would be up there.

I was into Tool's first couple of albums but lost interest in them after that.

PT has two good albums - Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun

Tool has one - Aenima

couldnt care less what those albums are considered. I like the songs. I'm not trying to impress anyone

Nah, Undertow is the only good one.

i like some songs, but that thing just drags. sober and prison sex were so overplayed i cant listen anymore. other than undertow (the song) and 4 degrees, the album is forgettable.

thats not to say aenima is perfect. some of the interludes are goddamn retarded. but you cant argue with great songs like aenema, 46 & 2, pushit, eulogy, stinkfist, third eye, etc.

tried listening to the other two after aenima, couldnt do it.