Controversial opinions on metal

But there is no single song on either of those records that is better than, or as good as, Tool's best tracks (of which there are many).

Also, Mer de Noms is boring as fuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

I feel like Tool-hating is just a rite of passage because they're not especially dark and have a bunch of videos that got heavy rotation on MTV.

Fact remains, though, Tool did some amazing work over the years. Schism remains one of my favorite songs and fuck it I'm putting Lateralus on right now.

But there is no single song on either of those records that is better than, or as good as, Tool's best tracks (of which there are many).

Also, Mer de Noms is boring as fuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

I don't think Tool has "many best", but the best from Tool beats the best from APC sure. But if I'm going to buy an album, I want some consistency. And yeah MDN is a little bland compared to 13th Step.

Meh, I'd rather listen to "Weak and Powerless" than most Tool songs, but both are actually pretty rad. I get drunk at times and blast some Tool and am always into it, but I'm also usually quite drunk...

At the same time, APC's albums usually have some really great songs, and a few others that are just too weird for my current palate. Yoda back in 2005 loved the fuck out of both though.

I listened to an APC album once. Never again.

This song for example is fine tbh, especially by radio standards. I don't know what people expect from radio rock bands like this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I own both Mer de Noms and The Thirteenth Step; I bought the former purely because I was already a Tool fan, and the second because I heard several songs first and realized it was much better than its predecessor.

Tool is, to be quite honest, one of those bands from high school that I just have not grown out of. In fact, I probably enjoy them more today than I did back then. Like Yoda and Onder both said, they're just awesome and energetic radio rock; but Tool's relative ingenuity and inventiveness among radio-rock acts is pretty impressive.

I get the complaint about filler too; but I actually find both Aenima and Lateralus to be pretty listenable the whole way through. There are some short throwaway tracks, but the killer tunes make up for those.

In other controversial metal news, I fucking love Sabaton, and I think their new record is awesome as hell. Their lyrics are often horrid and the heavy keys lend a considerable layer of cheese, but I just think they're great.

I own both Mer de Noms and The Thirteenth Step; I bought the former purely because I was already a Tool fan, and the second because I heard several songs first and realized it was much better than its predecessor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrEP3RPgEao

Still my favorite APC song.

I get the complaint about filler too; but I actually find both Aenima and Lateralus to be pretty listenable the whole way through. There are some short throwaway tracks, but the killer tunes make up for those.

Lateralus is the only decent Tool album (also the closest to sounding APCish). Aenima is horrible though, even by Tool standards.

"Pet" is a great song; but seriously saying Aenima is horrible is just... categorically incorrect. And it certainly has the hardest-hitting collection of great tracks: "Stinkfist", "Eulogy", "H.", "46 & 2", "Hooker with a Penis", "Jimmy", "Aenema", "Third Eye".

Christ, I love that record.

The only APC songs i enjoy are judith and nurse who loved me (which is a cover of awesome alt grunge band Failure).

Einherjar just nailed why Aenima reigns supreme over Tool and APC discographies. Its the only one i own and need

Aenima just sounds like Maynard fucking off for 77 minutes. Stinkfist is ok, but it sounds like Maynard is ripping off a Morello riff.Some of the other songs have some good bits, but are then ruined by pointless meandering otherwise.