Controversial opinions on metal

I posted this in the social forum but I think it belongs here...

I understand why people like bands like Manilla Road but I just can't get into it. I really want to, I understand the talent there but it just feels so corny and I can't get over it. The vocals, the stiffness, the lyrics, it's just.. ugh

What am I missing?

Tool actually doesn't even try to be intellectual. They sing about New-Age/Kabbalah type shit. That, or they're simply blowing off steam; "Hooker With a Penis" is just fucking fun.

Those who interpret Tool as trying to be "intellectual" aren't really getting the point, in my opinion. Just read one of Maynard's interviews. The guy's more interested in fucking with people.

APC has always been better than Tool.

Hmm, I definitely disagree with this.

The song structures are pure wank. It may not be technical music but its still really masturbatory and unmusical in its execution. Plus Maynard should stay away from a mic at all times. Tool is basically music constructed for the sake of appearing to be esoteric.

Typical Tool fans:
"Whoa man... check out this fucking 6/4 riff dude!"
"Whoa dude I know its so... Out there, man."
"Broooo!!! That is so off the scale, bro!"

Tool has a few really good songs, and the rest is worse than filler crap.

I can listen to 13th Step or Mer de Noms without having to skipskipskip.

Yeah agreed. APC's songs have more melody and succinctness for me, and Mer de Noms is at the top of all Tool and APC albums. Though I do have a soft spot for Undertow.

I understand why people like bands like Manilla Road but I just can't get into it. I really want to, I understand the talent there but it just feels so corny and I can't get over it. The vocals, the stiffness, the lyrics, it's just.. ugh

What am I missing?

You're not missing anything. The songwriting is incredibly poor on a whole.

Just like Vanilla Road

To be fair, I don't think the band themselves are trying to be pretentious in any way. It's just their fans that have exalted them.

What am I missing?

It sounds like they got a drunk, homeless man to do vocals. Seriously terrible.

Tool has a few really good songs, and the rest is worse than filler crap.

I can listen to 13th Step or Mer de Noms without having to skipskipskip.

But there is no single song on either of those records that is better than, or as good as, Tool's best tracks (of which there are many).

Also, Mer de Noms is boring as fuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Deafheaven's Sunbather is an extraordinarily mediocre album. I can see how its accessible for a black metal release, but its takes the most mundane aspects of Black/Post/Shoegazey and just lumps them together. To be fair, there's not a single bad moment on the album- but they just don't seem to be doing anything interesting and/or innovative. Nothing that makes me want to listen again. As I delve more into this corner of the BM world I'm really hearing more of the same. Lacking in the raw energy of trad BM acts or the vastly more interesting chord progression that Cascadian/folk-leaning BM acts possess.

Deafheaven's Sunbather is an extraordinarily mediocre album. I can see how its accessible for a black metal release, but its takes the most mundane aspects of Black/Post/Shoegazey and just lumps them together. To be fair, there's not a single bad moment on the album- but they just don't seem to be doing anything interesting and/or innovative. Nothing that makes me want to listen again. As I delve more into this corner of the BM world I'm really hearing more of the same. Lacking in the raw energy of trad BM acts or the vastly more interesting chord progression that Cascadian/folk-leaning BM acts possess.

I don't understand why Deafheaven gets the praise it does. Even as a dude who jerks off at all the post-black I can find it's really not that awesome. Russian Circles stomps all over DH, to keep it within their own sound, and for post-black heavyweights like Lantlos and Les Discrets it's not even a contest.

And TBH guys like nic approach the concept of artsy-fartsy black metal way better anyway because they keep WELL rooted in the "frightening" atmosphere rather than trying to make it all glitzy and pretty.