Controversial opinions on metal

And furthermore, "Stinkfist" sounds nothing like Morello! There's no funk to that riff. If anything, the guitar work on Aenima sounds more like Tony Iommi than Tom Morello.

Not being much of an RATM fan, I don't know how similar it is to Morello's early work, but that riff could have fit in any Audioslave album.

I'd still deny that, but I'm not going to bother trying to outline a whole genealogy of '90s guitar riffs. Ultimately, the influence and origins of Jones's style comes less from RATM and more from Sabbath and Soundgarden; but even beyond that, it's an incredibly original style of playing.

Morello has more in common with Frusciante or Navarro, RHCP style.

Morello doesn't sound like anyone. He's one of the single most distinctive guitarists I can think of. I'm not a huge fan, but no one else plays like that.

I would agree; but I'm just saying that stylistically he has more in common with funk and R&B aesthetics.

Adam Jones is equally as distinct, but draws more of his licks from doom and heavy rock.

Tool's guitar work sounds about as much like Morello's as it does Santana. They're wildly different styles.

You can say "but it sounds kinda like Audioslave" sure, but the slight difference is that Audioslave was basically an ultra watered down version of Soundgarden, so at best you can sort of say that some Tool riffs sound similar to downtempo alt-rock. Surprise surprise.

If you think Audioslave sounded like ANYTHING except a Chris Cornell project your ears are just fucking broken. He may have had the rest of the band from RATM but he was CLEARLY calling the shots and directing the music.

If you think Audioslave sounded like ANYTHING except a Chris Cornell project your ears are just fucking broken. He may have had the rest of the band from RATM but he was CLEARLY calling the shots and directing the music.

The middle album was probably the most Cornell influenced, and he can put his name all over everything, but Morello's wank and funk were all over albums 1 & 3. Part of the reason for the split was "musical differences".

The middle album was probably the most Cornell influenced, and he can put his name all over everything, but Morello's wank and funk were all over albums 1 & 3. Part of the reason for the split was "musical differences".

I admit I didn't hear the third, but the debut? That was pure Cornell. Right off the bat Cochise is far more fist-pump rock than off-kilter funk/rap/metal. Morello played around with solos here and there, but that was it. Everything else was straight-up 90's style alt rock and if you played their first two for someone but didn't tell them who the rest of the band was they'd be excused for thinking it was just a Cornell project.

I was also a big fan. I really enjoyed Like a Stone in particular.

I know that feel. I've somehow accumulated almost everything by Nile despite an intense apathy towards anything that's not In Their Darkened Shrines.

In my case i was heavily into trad doom and picked cathedrals classics (foe, tem) in hopes that id learn to appreciate them more. In time i kept picking up the others for the same reason.

They arent terrible and have some good songs. Lee dorrian, though, should have never been given a mic.