Controversial opinions on metal

I'm not sure if I got them bundled with other stuff or they were just on a pretty good sale, but I have everything up through Those Whom The Gods Detest.

I enjoy niles first three a lot, plus festivals of atonement. Annihilation is ok. Lost touch after that. I actually enjoyed worship the animal as well

I admit I didn't hear the third, but the debut? That was pure Cornell. Right off the bat Cochise is far more fist-pump rock than off-kilter funk/rap/metal. Morello played around with solos here and there, but that was it. Everything else was straight-up 90's style alt rock and if you played their first two for someone but didn't tell them who the rest of the band was they'd be excused for thinking it was just a Cornell project.

Only because Cornell is so distinct (and good) and rock has plenty of emphasis on the vocalist. But anyone who has heard any actual Cornell project like his solo garbage, wouldn't be confused.

I was also a big fan. I really enjoyed Like a Stone in particular.

Yeah I really like the 1st album, and my enjoyment decreased with each output. Still own them all though.

ITDS really delivers on the "Egyptian death metal" premise. It has really strong atmosphere, complex song structures, and a surprising number of memorable riffs and themes.

I'd still deny that, but I'm not going to bother trying to outline a whole genealogy of '90s guitar riffs. Ultimately, the influence and origins of Jones's style comes less from RATM and more from Sabbath and Soundgarden; but even beyond that, it's an incredibly original style of playing.

Morello has more in common with Frusciante or Navarro, RHCP style.

There are some riffs on the first RATM that sound Sabbath-y themselves iirc.

Why the hell would you guys do that?

I own all of Tool's albums and I can no longer listen to them due to the fanboyism killing my interest in the band. Maynard is not the messiah.

Also Adam Jones isn't a very original or distinctive guitarist imo. Drop D rock meh. He's the weak link in the band and the reason their sound never progresses.

I always preferred superunknown and louder than love over badmotorfinger. I even enjoyed down on the upside.

But to me, grunge was at its best with dirt, sap, and har of flies.

Nirvana can suck it

Why the hell would you guys do that?

Baroness is another one. I have everything and i only enjoy parts of yellow and green.

Ill stick to neurosis and isis for this stuff. Though baroness is better than mastodon, which is easily one of the most mistakenly hyped bands ive ever heard.

There are some riffs on the first RATM that sound Sabbath-y themselves iirc.

You do not recall correctly. The riffs on the first album consist largely of distorted power chords, so obviously there's some overlap with Sabbath, but nothing I'd really call Sabbath-y. The rhythms being used have much more of a funk/rock/hip-hop feel.

Agreed. Ratm riffs are funk infused, bouncy, and have almost a hip hop vibe. Still a very powerful album, and the only one i can listen to all the way through

All three albums have some weak spots, but I thought they were all pretty damn consistent. I seem to be the only person who doesn't hate their vocalist, though.

Baroness is another one. I have everything and i only enjoy parts of yellow and green.

Ill stick to neurosis and isis for this stuff. Though baroness is better than mastodon, which is easily one of the most mistakenly hyped bands ive ever heard.

You don't like the Red Album that much? That's my favorite of theirs.

I like Zack, I just don't listen that much to RATM anymore. For some reason I outgrew them after high school, but I still love Tool; probably more now, in fact.

And the closest Morello gets to anything 1960s on that first record is the riff he rips off from Zeppelin; which, of course, isn't doom at all.