Controversial opinions on metal

more people need to talk about how good haunting the chapel is because that EP destroys most bands entire careers

... indeed.

Thrash didn't exist so yeah

:lol: What do you mean by thrash didn't exist? Metallica, Exodus and a few ither bands were playing thrash since 80-81. The bay are was already starting to sizzle by the time that album was released ... Kill Em All was even out by then.

4224.jpg

47727.jpg

Oh please...

War Esemble, Spirit In Black, Expendable Youth, Dead Skin Mask, Hallowed Point, Skeletons of Society, Temptation and last but not least, Seasons in the Abyss. That's even more than Hell Awaits contains.

Seasons is a great album... but compared to Hell Awaits it is formulaic and more of a "surface value listen" than a "deep" one.

All of Suicidal Tendencies first 5 albums are amazing.

Almost the same goes for D.R.I., with a little less consistency.

Controversial here? If so, I'm moving to Canada and living with a Sasquatch. If not, then good. I like it here.

DRI are just the tits. The bassist in my last band used to wear one of those bad ass/goofy flipped up brim DRI hats and, despite us being on stage playing death metal about Satan, I couldn't be upset about it. Haha

EDIT: I just saw the last comment in your post, TB. Why? Why do you have to do this to me? ST are (were, at least) fucking phenomenal. Right on par with DRI, if not more well written after the first couple albums

Tbh, i haven't listened their shit since the late 90's(edit:*actually, more around 2001). There used to be an awesome little record store in Hollywood called Eastside records that always had at least 10-15 of their discs in there at all times. I'd sometimes grab one or two of em with the rest of my stack that i'd take to their cd player and sample out. But yea that was a long fucking time ago ... man i miss those days :(

Don't listen to Kaf, TB. Go give at least How Will I Laugh or Lights...Camera...Revolution a good listen. It's high quality. A lot of people don't like his singing with those, and some people have said they sounded sold out. I say his voice is perfect for what they do and nothing more, while their sound was more based on having funds and access to better recording and production. Its the best work they did IMO.

And Controlled By Hatred was the last thing they did with any merit

EDIT: The Art of Rebellion was the last thing they did with merit. I was thinking CbH was after that for some reason

There is a significant drop in quality after Reign in Blood and it wasn't simply due to the slowed down tempo on South of Heaven. They all but lost the menacing songwriting that made the previous three so great and instead opted for a more cinematic feeling of "evil" which didn't ultimately work for their style. I think it goes without saying that Tom Araya deciding to use half-sung vocals on the album was a bad plan and his vocals only seem to have gotten worse since. I still like South of Heaven and Seasons in the Abyss but it was a step in the wrong direction for the band. The latter album has a few decent tracks but is still only passable at best.

more people need to talk about how good haunting the chapel is because that EP destroys most bands entire careers

This. It's the perfect bridge between Show No Mercy and Hell Awaits stylistically. I think there was even a brief period when I preferred it to Hell Awaits (I can't imagine why nowadays, but still).

Weird that for some reason....I only like slayer's first albums, up to Seasons/DI at most, but anything released after that by slayer fails to excite me.

But with metallica its in the opposite direction for me - I simply love St. Anger and Death magnetic, but hate anything released by metallica before that. Really controversial I know.