Controversial opinions on metal

One of the problems I have is that Ronnie James Dio, he was a fave at Rainbow, that is heavy rock, and at Sabbath which in my opinion is heavy rock, however, when he went solo, there were new people buying the music then and he changed to metal. He changed, he became metal in Dio. I really like Holy Diver album, things like `rainbow in the dark`, but he was playing metal there.

Solo Dio is hardly different than the stuff he did with Sabbath really.

Out of interest, what genre of music would you guys say that `guns n roses ` are?

Hard rock with metal elements.
Is it controversial to think Cirith Ungol is a top-tier metal band that got a really raw deal and likely never reached their full potential due to financial difficulties and trouble with record labels?

Don't think that would be controversial at all.

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
Is it controversial to think Cirith Ungol is a top-tier metal band that got a really raw deal and likely never reached their full potential due to financial difficulties and trouble with record labels?

I agree that they're awesome, but I'd chalk their lack of success up to the vocal style. Personally I like it, but it's an acquired taste.

I was interested if he would try to spin that fact in his favor.

The thing is that the bands I grew up with they were behaving like rock bands would, on stage etc. However the point came where I saw Halford wearing the studded jacket and studded wrist bands and clenching his fist and screaming with veins popping out in head etc . At that pont , for me, it had gone wrong, they had got the wrong idea. They had exagerrated all the things from the pioneers and made it comical. They were doing it for the sake of it. That was the change. Then each new generation of bands started to try and out do the last until they were grunting like animals and their music sounded like an engine with the tappets out of synch.

The thing is that the bands I grew up with they were behaving like rock bands would, on stage etc. However the point came where I saw Halford wearing the studded jacket and studded wrist bands and clenching his fist and screaming with veins popping out in head etc .

I guess Halford's queerness does come out a bit in his aesthetic/on stage presence, which could put someone off. It's a pretty superficial reason not to like Heavy Metal music though.

Reactions: Phylactery and CiG
The thing is that the bands I grew up with they were behaving like rock bands would, on stage etc. However the point came where I saw Halford wearing the studded jacket and studded wrist bands and clenching his fist and screaming with veins popping out in head etc .

I dont think stage persona has anything to do about the genre of music itself.

Reactions: CiG
I think that Rob Halford might have been influenced by the style change of his singing idol, Freddie Mercury. He adopted that look almost immediately after Mercury.

Peak queer:

00669773bae053e7f1366b71b8e4b53a.jpg

Reactions: Baroque and CiG
I guess Halford's queerness does come out a bit in his aesthetic/on stage presence, which could put someone off. It's a pretty superficial reason not to like Heavy Metal music though.

Well it isnt his sexuality, I mean no-one knew he way gay then. It is the acting a hard man and, it was like they were doing it entirely to outdo other bands, it wasnt just Halford. I like the track` breaking the law` . I am a prog rock person really anyway.

Well it isnt his sexuality, I mean no-one knew he way gay then. It is the acting a hard man and, it was like they were doing it entirely to outdo other bands, it wasnt just Halford. I like the track` breaking the law` . I am a prog rock person really anyway.

Does this mean the Stooges were metal? What about Les Ralizes Denudes and Throbbing Gristle?

Reactions: CiG