Controversial opinions on metal

Does this mean the Stooges were metal? What about Les Ralizes Denudes and Throbbing Gristle?

no but these things all add up to be synonimous with metal. That and fast riffs with power chords and using fantastical imagery on the album covers, each aspect isnt individual and unique to `heavy metal` but collectively there is a picture.

Stage antics are irrelevant, as I've noticed most of your points are. No offence, but stage antics, the opinions of band members and year something came out are all completely irrelevant.

Also no one answered my question regarding Sea Shanties.

I personally would call it metal to some degree certainly, a huge influence on my musical ideas and a masterpiece.

I think you guys should just stop entertaining the rantings of this geriatric, obviously mentally challenged, and uninformed rock fan. He thinks heavy metal is studded bracelets, posturing, and music without a blues influence, lmfao. I hope he stops shitting up the discussion on here sooner rather than later.

Is it controversial to think Cirith Ungol is a top-tier metal band that got a really raw deal and likely never reached their full potential due to financial difficulties and trouble with record labels?

Not controversial imo. Im pretty sure they broke up and seperated due to record label difficulties, at the very least I know that Garven was extremely bitter about the experience and in the past claimed that he would never perform again . He corroborated this when I last talked with him, though I guess he is a bit less bitter now since they recently reformed and are going to play a couple shows (and hopefully remain active). I agree that they probably never reached their full potential.

As for Dickinson, ive always viewed him as a closet homosexual. At the very least his stage show screams flaming homosexual.

Stage antics are irrelevant, as I've noticed most of your points are. No offence, but stage antics, the opinions of band members and year something came out are all completely irrelevant.

I personally would call it metal to some degree certainly, a huge influence on my musical ideas and a masterpiece.

Good enough for me.

Reactions: CiG
He thinks heavy metal is... music without a blues influence, lmfao.

Although I disagree with most of what he's said, this is the one part I think has a limited degree of truth to it. As metal has evolved the blues influence has increasingly diminished - it would be pretty difficult to find any parallels with blues at all on your average death or black metal album. It's almost as if blues was a starting point metal had to transition away from in order to discover its true character, although undoubtedly most trad bands are pretty bluesy.

As for Dickinson, ive always viewed him as a closet homosexual. At the very least his stage show screams flaming homosexual.

Lol, exactly.

Thats rather egotistical of you to say, as you run off and try to cut ties with your opinion. Ozzy disagrees with you and Halford, and he wrote it.

I personally dont like heavy metal at all, I prefer blues riff rock bands like Rush and Sabbath. Heavy Metal has no feel and I cant listen to it. Baroque seems fond of displaying other peoples opinions as he has all through this, he cant provide any explanations of his own to explain why he has the opinions he does ( and I am not saying his opinions are necessarily wrong, because subjectively to him / her they are correct). Baroque relies on others for his own opinions. See, you have bands like Napalm Death, they are heavy metal? yes Id say they are. Id say Napalm Death are heavy metal, ( theres that many genres of metal ), would you say Napalm Death are like Sabbath? I would say absolutely not, not in any way. So you have a frequency, analogous to a radio, where one htz ( hertz ) is at the left of the scale and then say 100 htz at the right, and as you tune through you get progressively stronger types of heavy metal. The blues based riffs like Sabbath and Zeppelin and Deep Purple are way down on the left ( because blues scales predominatley) Sabbath are the furthest to the right of the three, and all are pioneers in a sense. Then you go to sort of UFO and Thin Lizzy, Thin Lizzy are definately not heavy metal, Im not siure about UFO but in my opinion they arent heavy metal. Then you get iron maiden , Id say they are metal ( I cant stand them ) and Judas priest are further right, and you can progress into black metal ( that Sabbath influenced ) speed and thrash metal and so on on the far right.

We established early on this is Not a logical debate, it is opinion based. Therefore I presented opinions of well known experts. I agree with those experts on this matter and you are in the minority on this. You have done nothing to show your opinion has any more worth than mine or countless experts on music.

Black Sabbath is only blues based on part of the debut and occasional other songs. They have many non blues based heavy metal songs including Black Sabbath. Judas Priest was blues based on their debut also.

What it means Baroque even though you made some sort of weird declaration to everyone and ran off, what it means my friend is that, according to you, and your links, it means that, and as you have just ironically admitted, it means that although a company can have an award under a certain category, e.g. `heavy metal`, it means that it isnt necessarily so that the people THEY have in it are `heavy metal`. And Id add to that, that Metallica are most certainly `heavy metal` in my opinion. I cant stand them either.

The term `heavy metal` has become so widely used by the media these days as opposed to the late seventies and early 80`s that all types of this kind of music gets lumped under that term.

I'm a human being, I have to sleep. You should too.

I think you guys should just stop entertaining the rantings of this geriatric, obviously mentally challenged, and uninformed rock fan. He thinks heavy metal is studded bracelets, posturing, and music without a blues influence, lmfao.

Do you like Napalm Death?

I was saying the studded wrist bands and such were the point that Heavy Rock was separated. That was the point that `Heavy Metal` started is why I was describing the clichéd and ubiquitous imagery. This was used as an example to depict some of the nuances of those that followed on from Sabbath.

Ive seen maiden live several times and have all their albums but I have never had any idea or suggestion from anywhere that Dickinson is gay. I cant see where you are getting that idea from.

The difference between myself and posters on here, like yourself, is that I dont have an ego. What I mean by that is you seem to have this thing whereby a discussion becomes like a competition to you and you wont let go when you have been proven wrong in what you say. You turn a discussion into an argument, and sort of need to not lose face or something. You need to stop with the ego. You keep wriggiling and twisting and trying to get at things from different angles. See, I dont argue, I discuss. This post from yourself is the latest attempt at ` ner-ner-ner ` etc lol

Lol, you're trash. Who do you think you are, Buddha? This just makes you have an even bigger ego.

Do you like Napalm Death?

I was saying the studded wrist bands and such were the point that Heavy Rock was separated. That was the point that `Heavy Metal` started is why I was describing the clichéd and ubiquitous imagery. This was used as an example to depict some of the nuances of those that followed on from Sabbath.

Ive seen maiden live several times and have all their albums but I have never had any idea or suggestion from anywhere that Dickinson is gay. I cant see where you are getting that idea from.

I like Napalm Death but Carcass were superior.

You still havent got it. no doubt youll return to name calling

In fairness, this is the controversial opinions thread, so the reaction against you may have been a little harsh. If it's any consolation, though, I think your opinion that Black Sabbath aren't a metal band probably wins in terms of the most controversial statement posted so far.

That happens to be because it's stupid, but still.

Reactions: Baroque and CiG