Controversial opinions on metal

Where do you draw the line in Doom Metal then? It would be hard to make an argument that a band like Candlemass, for instance, are metal, whereas Pentagram and Black Sabbath aren't.

That is the key thing, where to draw the line. I find that the nuances, in my opinion, are the way that the songs are, the riffs and also how they present themselves on stage, like the clichéd Halford thing with all the studs and clenched fist etc. But there are so many genres of it now, I am an old school heavy rock fan and am ignorant of most of todays `heavy metal`.

That is the key thing, where to draw the line. I find that the nuances, in my opinion, are the way that the songs are, the riffs and also how they present themselves on stage, like the clichéd Halford thing with all the studs and clenched fist etc. But there are so many genres of it now, I am an old school heavy rock fan and am ignorant of most of todays `heavy metal`.

No one so far has mentioned any modern metal bands from today. The most recent is Candlemass who were 80s. Pentagram has been around since the mid 70s.

He's saying there is an entire metal genre based around essentially copying Black Sabbath. So by extension you're saying doom metal isn't metal.

There is an entire genre of that? of copying Sabbath ? really ? that is very amusing. See, I am out of the loop, I am old school heavy rock fan. I am out of the loop since the mid nineties. So I cant form an opinion on `doom metal`. But I imagine we can invent another genre of `metal` today, here, that never existed before by using a keyword before the word metal. A word that is synonimous with Horror.

His whole reason for saying Black Sabbath isn't a metal band seems to stem from the fact that he doesn't like heavy metal but he likes Black Sabbath so therefore they must not be metal. He also doesn't seem to have much knowledge on metal in the first place, I mean going by his response to the Pentagram song posted, it seems he's never heard them before.

I find genre arguments to be completely asinine anyway, but his definition of what makes something heavy metal was dumb as fuck. It's like me defining rap and hip hop as music made by gangsters about banging hoes and shooting people just because I don't like it, which would be incredibly superficial of me.

Why do you keep bringing up that you are oldschool and have been out of the loop since the 90s when no one has mentioned any bands from beyond the 80s?

Reactions: CiG
There is an entire genre of that? of copying Sabbath ? really ? that is very amusing. See, I am out of the loop, I am old school heavy rock fan. I am out of the loop since the mid nineties. So I cant form an opinion on `doom metal`. But I imagine we can invent another genre of `metal` today, here, that never existed before by using a keyword before the word metal. A word that is synonimous with Horror.

That's no excuse, doom metal has existed since the late 70's.

Already been there and done that.

To your detriment.

Iron Claw and Bedemon are 70s bands.

Yes but nothing was released commercially by them until the 1990's.

His whole reason for saying Black Sabbath isn't a metal band seems to stem from the fact that he doesn't like heavy metal but he likes Black Sabbath so therefore they must not be metal. He also doesn't seem to have much knowledge on metal in the first place, I mean going by his response to the Pentagram song posted, it seems he's never heard them before.

I find genre arguments to be completely asinine anyway, but his definition of what makes something heavy metal was dumb as fuck. It's like me defining rap and hip hop as music made by gangsters about banging hoes and shooting people just because I don't like it, which would be incredibly superficial of me.

You have a point, and I can understand why you think that. I am ignorant of todays metal and what have you, but I am not ignorant of Sabbath. And yes the genre thing, I have always hated pigeon-holing, but yes, with metal it cant be defined as anything else. I see Sabbath as `heavy rock` though.

One of the problems I have is that Ronnie James Dio, he was a fave at Rainbow, that is heavy rock, and at Sabbath which in my opinion is heavy rock, however, when he went solo, there were new people buying the music then and he changed to metal. He changed, he became metal in Dio. I really like Holy Diver album, things like `rainbow in the dark`, but he was playing metal there.

Heavy rock pretty much is just heavy metal, you're playing semantics now. Unless you meant to say hard rock rather than heavy rock?

I know that's part of the reason I brought them up actually.

Care to explain? Because how would he know 70's bands that didn't release anything until the 90's if he self-admits that he fell out of the loop in the 90's?

Care to explain? Because how would he know 70's bands that didn't release anything until the 90's if he self-admits that he fell out of the loop in the 90's?

its-a-trap

Heavy rock pretty much is just heavy metal, you're playing semantics now. Unless you meant to say hard rock rather than heavy rock?

I was interested if he would try to spin that fact in his favor.

Is it controversial to think Cirith Ungol is a top-tier metal band that got a really raw deal and likely never reached their full potential due to financial difficulties and trouble with record labels?