Controversial opinions on metal

shia-600x400.jpg

Traditional metal isn't really about creating an atmosphere, though I do think Judgement Of The Dead has one.

I didn't specifically mean trad metal but I should say there's a difference between creating atmosphere and focusing on it. Take Voivod's early work for example while atmosphere might not be the main focus you can imagine it taking place in a post apocalyptic universe. Voivod are good at creating atmosphere without dwelling on it.

Reactions: CiG
It's very difficult to comment on your opinion when you don't give any context.

Again it was a half assed remark but Slayer is the main one that comes to mind. I feel South of heaven was an attempt to focus more on atmosphere but I feel they failed in that aspect among others.

HELL AWAITS is by far the most atmospheric thrash metal album I've ever heard. Sounds totally Hellish, unhinged and deranged. So I'd disagree there. I don't find Slayer's other releases to be anywhere near as atmospheric, though.

Reactions: The Butt and CiG
Again it was a half assed remark but Slayer is the main one that comes to mind. I feel South of heaven was an attempt to focus more on atmosphere but I feel they failed in that aspect among others.

South of Heaven isn't even close to as atmospheric as Hell Awaits and I honestly think that it was a strange move, although I'm not sure what Slayer could have done after Reign in Blood that wouldn't have involved retreading old ideas. The first four releases (counting Haunting the Chapel in here) are all fairly different from each other in feeling and expand on their core style in different ways.

South of Heaven will always remain an unexpected and divisive album. Seasons in the Abyss is the first Slayer album to obviously reuse ideas, as I have always found it to be a weird hybrid of the previous two albums. I also think it has annoying production values that give it a quality totally unfitting of Slayer.

Reactions: CiG
HELL AWAITS is by far the most atmospheric thrash metal album I've ever heard. Sounds totally Hellish, unhinged and deranged. So I'd disagree there. I don't find Slayer's other releases to be anywhere near as atmospheric, though.

I like it but I just don't see it being very atmospheric or hellish.

Ok listening to Hell awaits now and the intro is atmospheric and the vocals are killer but something about the sound maybe it's the production it sounds too clean. The riffs sound light behind the vocals.

Go ahead if you like, and post your thoughts on it. I've always been sad that Slayer never really made more songs like the lengthier ones on that album. There's really nothing else that sounds structurally like "At Dawn they Sleep" and "Crypts of Eternity" in their discography.

Ok listening to Hell awaits now and the intro is atmospheric and the vocals are killer but something about the sound maybe it's the production it sounds too clean. The riffs sound light behind the vocals.

Too clean? What the fuck. The production is one of my favourite things about that record. There's a reason that it's one of the most influential records on early black and death metal. Also, the first track isn't one of the best tracks on it imo.

Go ahead if you like, and post your thoughts on it. I've always been sad that Slayer never really made more songs like the lengthier ones on that album. There's really nothing else that sounds structurally like "At Dawn they Sleep" and "Crypts of Eternity" in their discography.

Too clean? What the fuck. The production is one of my favourite things about that record. There's a reason that it's one of the most influential records on early black and death metal. Also, the first track isn't one of the best tracks on it imo.

I'm on the second track now but it sounds like the compositions and playing are solid but the production needs to be a lot more raw to match the music. The riffs end up too light and feel like background noise under the vocals.