Controversial opinions on metal

The Somberlain is definitely their best. It's my favorite black metal album of all time.

I wouldn't say there's a weak track on either of those two 5 star records, except maybe the opening track on SoTLB.

edit: but yeah, Where Dead Angels lie is one of the only songs on that album that i dont have rated at 5 or 4.5.

Reactions: Phylactery
I do like Dissection too, and Thousand Swords era Graveland doesn't blow Dissection out of the water or anything in my opinion, but if the comparison were between Dissection and Following the Voice of Blood/Immortal Pride era Graveland, I start to get very dismissive. :lol:

Storm of the Lights Bane is better than The Somberlain and Where Dead Angels Lie is a great song. Fucking in-crowd elitists! x(

I agree that Thousand Swords is abit overrated, not in the sense that it isn't as good as people say (I probably like it more than most) but because it isn't the best Graveland ever. :p It will obviously make my list though.

Without thinking too hard about it, Bergtatt will without a doubt be my highest black metal(ish) pick that year.

Storm of the Light's Bane and Mutiilation's Vampires of Black Imperial are the best two black metal albums from 95. Complaining about Where Dead Angels Lie is some in crowd bullshit.

As for Thousand Swords, I probably laid it on a little too hard. I remember it being hyped as one of the greatest black metal albums ever and failing to live up to those expectations, which has always left a bit of a bad taste on that record for me. It's still a B, B+ record, but stands in the shadows of The Celtic Winter, Carpathian Wolves, Following the Voice of Blood, and Immortal Pride.

Reactions: EternalMetal
Storm of the Lights Bane is better than The Somberlain and Where Dead Angels Lie is a great song. Fucking in-crowd elitists! x(

These are all lies :p. The Somberlain is much better.

Also, since when is thinking that Where Dead Angels Lie is the weakest song on the album an in-crowd opinion? It's just completely bland and uninteresting. I'm not huge on Thorns of Crimson Death either.