Controversial opinions on metal

That first Blut Aus Nord album is pretty overrated. The non-metal parts (i.e. all the synth stuff) are pretty amazing; the metal is solid, but far from exceptional. Their second album is their real masterwork from their more epic records.

As for all the other albums being brought up, none of them approach Storm of the Lights Bane. It's a rare album where every song is phenomenal. And I don't get the hate on "Where Dead Angels Lie." It's an exquisitely written song.

Reactions: Slayed Necros
Nastrond - Toteslaut needs more mentions bitches.

That first Blut Aus Nord album is pretty overrated. The non-metal parts (i.e. all the synth stuff) are pretty amazing; the metal is solid, but far from exceptional. Their second album is their real masterwork from their more epic records.

I agree that Fathers of the Icy Age is much better than Ultima Thulee.

Are you not that into Bergtatt? Aren't you a huge Agalloch fan? It's clearly one of their biggest influences.

Nastrond - Toteslaut needs more mentions bitches.

I agree that Fathers of the Icy Age is much better than Ultima Thulee.

Are you not that into Bergtatt? Aren't you a huge Agalloch fan? It's clearly one of their biggest influences.

Bergtatt is 55 on my 100 Greatest Black Metal albums list. SotLB is 8. So Bergtatt is great, but SotLB is in amongst the highest echelon of black metal.

im not a big fan of industrial bm, so that could explain it. best ive heard are

samael - passage
aborym - fire walk with us
mysticum - in the streams of inferno

as overhyped french BM albums from 2004 go, i much prefer SMRC. TWWTG isn't so bad though. thorns meets godflesh meets sonic youth or something to that effect.