Controversial opinions on metal

I didnt start my UM life on this part of the forum. I actually started on the Bloodbath forums because I was obsessed with swedish death metal when I started and that forum was complete chaos incarnate.

I remember @Qth from back then... and I feel like Dan Swano even posted there at some point. (and maybe Peter Tagreten sp? also)

Back in the day that Bloodbath forum was absolutely mental, yea.

Don't forget the superstars in KASTIGATION who competed for their fair bassist (or w/e it was) heart. Real class act right there.

haha the chick in that band bought my Windir CD off ebay with KastigationKelly as her name or something. I even saw one of their band shirts when I went to college in Colorado :lol:

I forgot we have the lead singer/guitarist of Lethal (Annihilation Agenda) in RC as well (Hell_Mike). THink that's it.

haha the chick in that band bought my Windir CD off ebay with KastigationKelly as her name or something. I even saw one of their band shirts when I went to college in Colorado :lol:
I wonder if ~gr~ still has his Kastigation logo tattoo

Yeah that was pretty bad. It was decent from 1970-1981. After that I only agreed with 86, 90, 98. Some of their picks for the post-2000 years made me lol.
That 1995 pick is unbelievable. I mean, Slaughter of the Soul over Orchid, Storm of the Light's Bane, Symbolic, The Angel and the Dark River, etc.? Unbelievable.

Reactions: CiG and Baroque
That 1995 pick is unbelievable. I mean, Slaughter of the Soul over Orchid, Storm of the Light's Bane, Symbolic, The Angel and the Dark River, etc.? Unbelievable.

Die Healing, Land of the Free, Bergtatt: Et eeventyr i 5 capitler, Imaginations From the Other Side, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell pt. II, Burnt Offerings, Panzerfaust, Stormcrowfleet, Written in Waters, The Carnival Bizarre, HEart of the Ages, Headstones, Carved in Stone.

Some 1995 albums I'd take over Slaughter of the Soul.

Reactions: Phylactery
Die Healing, Land of the Free, Bergtatt: Et eeventyr i 5 capitler, Imaginations From the Other Side, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell pt. II, Burnt Offerings, Panzerfaust, Stormcrowfleet, Written in Waters, The Carnival Bizarre, HEart of the Ages, Headstones, Carved in Stone.
I was on Discord with a couple of friends of mine and we were mentioning the dearth of black and power metal on this list.

Slaughter of the Soul could be argued as the single most influential metal album post-1994. Symbolic was just another Death album, no one cares about early Opeth, and I don't even know who the fuck released The Angel and the Dark River.

Didn't have you down as a Bergtatt or HEart or Ages fan CIG. I love Bergtatt.

no one cares about early Opeth, and I don't even know who the fuck released The Angel and the Dark River.

Early Opeth is the only Opeth I care about. Sure, the construction of the songs leaves a lot to be desired, but plenty of the individual passages are great.

I agree with you about Slaughter of the Soul. Definitely a very influential album, despite how shit it is.

It's a My Dying Bride album.

I really doubt either will top the list here when we get around to 1995.
surely they wont with people like you voting

Slaughter of the Souls has become the Pantera(insert any of their beloved albums) of modern times. Its like the new cool to hate album. I remember when everyone was fapping to it back when it first came out. far from being as bad as some of you want to make it out to be.

I'd definitely take it over Slaughter of the Soul, any day, at the very fucking least.

"Best albums by year" lists always try to incorporate influence and quasi-objectivity/impact into their ranking. Personal preference has nothing to do with it. SOTS is a shitty album that repeats one innovative song idea ten times, but it's still one of the most copied ideas in all of metal. Symbolic is just Human mkIII; my favorite 90s Death album, but it's not any kind of game-changer.