Controversial opinions on metal

yeah i was 16 ha. i've been here nearly 15 years though. :/ weren't you basically a poor man's polarity back then?

i tried to meet up with erik at wacken once and he pussied out. dude was a great poster but such a grouch. newer users here may know him as the guy behind nasheim.

Pretty much, yeah. I think polarity, grimace and I were the reason GMD is now General Metal Discussion instead of the former General Music Discussion name it had.

i still think of it as general music discussion, i'm not sure i even noticed it changed lol

i was responsible (along with nile577) for the philosopher forum being created. a dubious legacy at best.

People were definitely harsher and more willing to speak their minds, that's for sure. Today's UM is a metal safe space in comparison, lol. Back then you would be fucking crucified by everyone if you even remotely liked a band like Pantera or CoB. I dont even think that the "in-crowd" that HBB refers to is even relevant to UM anymore. Lately it is more of a trad/doom circle jerk, but I dont get quite the same elitist vibe as I did from this place years ago.

The funny thing is that there are posts going back really far where Dodens defended CoB as black metal and people shit on him for it. He apparently deleted those out of humiliation because the posts don't exist anymore, but quotes of the posts do. In-crowd-ness propagates like pedophilia.

he and erik both had a habit of deleting their own posts. erik posted on my friend's forum as well and bribed him to delete all of his posts one time because he had a meltdown. weirdos. if i ever deleted old posts it'd be ones that attempted to be funny and tragically failed.