Controversial opinions on metal

John Tardy is a fucking caveman on those early albums. Taps into shit so primal he can't even speak, just rage. Also he has excellent pacing and range of vocals unlike monotone grunts of today. It really is the perfect dm vocal
I'd say David Vincent and Schuldiner come close, but, you may be right. It's beyond animalistic the "noises" (they're too out there for me to even seriously refer to them as just "noises") he conjures from his throat. The human larynx wasn't made for that sort of insanity.

Reactions: Baroque
Highly problematic. This is exactly why we have need in-crowd awareness. This culture of toxic omniarchy and debut fetishism is one of the principal causes behind discographic stereotypes which lead to adverse listening outcomes in impressionable youths.

the early albums of bands being more acclaimed is a reason for me only having heard those, not for only liking those. if i ever find the time to go through all the less popular shit you have in search of hidden gems, i imagine my favourites list will be a lot harder to pigeonhole, as it is with i.e. movies. still, there's plenty of evidence against your claims already, i mean i gave LOAD a half star more than BATTLE CRY lol. since i was a child i've always been aggressively anti-cliché (even my anus days were a misguided teenage expression of that) which is why i enjoy you despite your smears against my character. ;)

idk if you were around back then but i was probably the one who originally called out omni the most on her dodens worship btw, not to mention dodens vehemently hates me and has implied i'm one of the reasons he refuses to post here anymore. apparently nowadays they just bicker with each other on facebook lol

1. Exodus, do you like them, what's your favorite album, what are your thoughts on the first two Zetro albums
2. First two Testament albums, what do you think?
3. Alder-era Fates Warning in general
4. Dream Theater in general
5. Virgin Steele, where do they rank in your metal pantheon?
6. Ares Kingdom, where do they rank in your metal pantheon?
7. Place the following doom metal bands in order of preference: Candlemass, Pagan Altar, Pentagram, Saint Vitus, Solitude Aeturnus, Trouble
8. Place the following thrash metal bands in order of preference: Artillery, Dark Angel, Demolition Hammer, Exhorder, Flotsam and Jetsam, Holy Terror, Sabbat (UK)

1. Yea I like them, my favorite album is either Tempo of the Damned or Bonded by Blood. The first two Zetro albums are good/ok, im not really the biggest fan of the party thrash on Fabulous Disaster though (id have loved to drunk mosh to them back in the day however).

2. Ive always considered Testament 2nd tier, and I also never liked Billy's vocals. The Legacy is good, the rest are rather forgettable for me.

3. In general not nearly as good as Arch era. I havent really explored much past Perfect Symmetry, which I wasnt really a fan of.

4. Images and Words, Awake, and select songs from other earlier albums are very impressive. Otherwise they have been nothing but prog metal masturbation for many years. I never really cared for LaBrie's vocals (which seem to keep getting worse), and Rudess ruined everything when he replaced Moore.

5. Rather low, I dont personally care much for whatever I heard of theirs.

6. Solid mid-tier; good but not great.

7. Candlemass, Saint Vitus, Pentagram, the rest

8. Artillery, Dark Angel, Demolition Hammer, Exhorder, Flotsam, havent heard anything from the others.

Reactions: HamburgerBoy
People were definitely harsher and more willing to speak their minds, that's for sure. Today's UM is a metal safe space in comparison, lol. Back then you would be fucking crucified by everyone if you even remotely liked a band like Pantera or CoB. I dont even think that the "in-crowd" that HBB refers to is even relevant to UM anymore. Lately it is more of a trad/doom circle jerk, but I dont get quite the same elitist vibe as I did from this place years ago.