Controversial opinions on metal

Zetro-dus is one of my favorite litmus tests for in-crowdness. Obviously it doesn't work on guys like you that love thrash but hate Zetro's voice, but Exodus is a band where the earliest stuff was influential/important/objectively something, possessing an iconic frontman and an underdog status relative to the biggest name in all of metal, yet all the while they completely drop off the radar where their sillier and more commercially successful stuff is concerned.

Haha I knew only having heard Bonded by Blood and hating Dream Theater would get me. But at least I've actually heard a lot of DT's material, I bet quite a few people who rag on them haven't.

I pretty much hate everything they've done after Awake as well tbh.

1. Exodus, do you like them, what's your favorite album, what are your thoughts on the first two Zetro albums
Not really, I guess they are ok for a thrash band. I really only know Bonded by Blood and I have no idea who/what Zetro is.

2. First two Testament albums, what do you think?
Listenable but considering my general stance on thrash, Testament is one of the bands I am least likely to put on.

3. Alder-era Fates Warning in general
Not really a fan, but No Exit is great. I've come to see some qualities in more modern sounding prog metal lately tho so maybe if I gave it a real shot I would like it.

4. Dream Theater in general
Same answer as the previous question.

5. Virgin Steele, where do they rank in your metal pantheon?
Really hard band to rank because for being a "cool" band they've done so much shit, and the worst part is that their shit-good ratio is spread out over most of their discography so alot of albums that could have been awsome are just ok.
When they peak they are really really great tho.

6. Ares Kingdom, where do they rank in your metal pantheon?
Not heard more than one or two songs I think. Good I guess?

7. Place the following doom metal bands in order of preference: Candlemass, Pagan Altar, Pentagram, Saint Vitus, Solitude Aeturnus, Trouble
1. Candlemass
2. Solitude Aeturnus
3. Pagan Altar
4. Saint Vitus
5. Trouble
6. Pentagram

8. Place the following thrash metal bands in order of preference: Artillery, Dark Angel, Demolition Hammer, Exhorder, Flotsam and Jetsam, Holy Terror, Sabbat (UK)

1. Artillery
2. Holy Terror
3. Dark Angel
4. Sabbat
5. Flotsam & Jetsam

Unranked because I'm not familiar enough with them: Demolition Hammer, Exhorder

Reactions: HamburgerBoy
1. Exodus, do you like them, what's your favorite album, what are your thoughts on the first two Zetro albums
Not really, I guess they are ok for a thrash band. I really only know Bonded by Blood and I have no idea who/what Zetro is.

Listenable but considering my general stance on thrash, Testament is one of the bands I am least likely to put on.

Not really a fan, but No Exit is great. I've come to see some qualities in more modern sounding prog metal lately tho so maybe if I gave it a real shot I would like it.

Same answer as the previous question.

Really hard band to rank because for being a "cool" band they've done so much shit, and the worst part is that their shit-good ratio is spread out over most of their discography so alot of albums that could have been awsome are just ok.
When they peak they are really really great tho.

Not heard more than one or two songs I think. Good I guess?

7. Place the following doom metal bands in order of preference: Candlemass, Pagan Altar, Pentagram, Saint Vitus, Solitude Aeturnus, Trouble
1. Candlemass
2. Solitude Aeturnus
3. Pagan Altar
4. Saint Vitus
5. Trouble
6. Pentagram

8. Place the following thrash metal bands in order of preference: Artillery, Dark Angel, Demolition Hammer, Exhorder, Flotsam and Jetsam, Holy Terror, Sabbat (UK)

1. Artillery
2. Holy Terror
3. Dark Angel
4. Sabbat
5. Flotsam & Jetsam

Unranked because I'm not familiar enough with them: Demolition Hammer, Exhorder

About 75% in-crowd, nice.

Reactions: Vilden
Never heard any Exodus and dont know what Zetro is

Never heard em. Not a big thrash fan.

Trash based on Parallels and Perfect Symmetry

I enjoy some songs, but i usually cant stomach this stuff

With 5 classics they should rank high in most peoples opinions.

Never heard em

Pagan Altar
Pentagram
Trouble
Solitude Aeturnus
Candlemass
Saint Vitus

Only heard Sabbat. Not a fan. Give me Skyclad any day over Sabbat

I like BbB and the rest is spotty. I don't know them well enough to say which are the first two Zetro albums.

Like them. New Order > Legacy imo, good guitar work and a couple good songs but the rest is kind of B-rate thrash imo.

Eh. I don't really listen to FW. There were a couple songs in Themed Mixtapes that were ok. Long ago someone recommended them to me because I was into prog metal but FW was pretty disappointing by comparison.

Big fan of about 4 of their albums. I&W, Awake, A Change of Seasons, Train of Thought. The others can be p annoying outside of 1 or 2 songs. I used to be a bigger fan of them.

Very low

Very low

Trouble, Candlemass, Saint Vitus, Pentagram, Solitude Aeturnus, Pagan Altar

Artillery, Dark Angel, Exhorder, Demolition Hammer, Flotsam and Jetsam, Holy Terror, Sabbat (UK)

Dark Angel in their prime were fantastic but Artillery have more good albums. Random fact Cliff Burton used to be a big Artillery fan that tells you something about their influence also. It's close between the two though

cliff_burton.jpg

Last edited:
Dark Angel in their prime were fantastic but Artillery have more good albums.

IMO they both have three very solid albums.

I really like both bands. But Dark Angel easily tops them as far as their best records go (DD>BI). Time Does Not Heal is just as good, if not better than the first two Artillery records and Leave Scars is definitely better than both of those.

DD > BI > Leave Scars > Terror Squad = FoT = Time Does Not Heal

Source on Cliff Burton being an Artillery fan? Never heard of that, really cool if true. I remember searching various metal newsgroup archives and being surprised/disappointed that even bands like Morbid Saint were discussed more than Artillery.

EDIT: Ah, cool pic. There's one of him wearing an Energetic Disassembly shirt circa the Puppets tour as well (and Ulrich too).

Never heard any Exodus and dont know what Zetro is

Never heard em. Not a big thrash fan.

Trash based on Parallels and Perfect Symmetry

I enjoy some songs, but i usually cant stomach this stuff

With 5 classics they should rank high in most peoples opinions.

Never heard em

Pagan Altar
Pentagram
Trouble
Solitude Aeturnus
Candlemass
Saint Vitus

Only heard Sabbat. Not a fan. Give me Skyclad any day over Sabbat

I don't know you that well but I'll assume you're more into black metal and other stuff not polled.

I like BbB and the rest is spotty. I don't know them well enough to say which are the first two Zetro albums.

Like them. New Order > Legacy imo, good guitar work and a couple good songs but the rest is kind of B-rate thrash imo.

Eh. I don't really listen to FW. There were a couple songs in Themed Mixtapes that were ok. Long ago someone recommended them to me because I was into prog metal but FW was pretty disappointing by comparison.

Big fan of about 4 of their albums. I&W, Awake, A Change of Seasons, Train of Thought. The others can be p annoying outside of 1 or 2 songs. I used to be a bigger fan of them.

Very low

Very low

Trouble, Candlemass, Saint Vitus, Pentagram, Solitude Aeturnus, Pagan Altar

Artillery, Dark Angel, Exhorder, Demolition Hammer, Flotsam and Jetsam, Holy Terror, Sabbat (UK)

Not in-crowd.

Reactions: The Ozzman