Controversial opinions on metal

Wise words from a self-described Garbage Connoisseur. Very intricate and selective job, that.

popcorn_gus.gif

Definitely a troll account

1. Exodus, do you like them, what's your favorite album, what are your thoughts on the first two Zetro albums?
Yeah, I like them. Fabulous Disaster and Bonded by Blood are probably my two favorites by them. Zetro's first two were pretty good. Fabulous Disaster, of course, is my favorite of the two.

2. First two Testament albums, what do you think?
Awesome stuff. It's some of my favorite material by the band.

3. Alder-era Fates Warning in general?
The Alder era isn't bad at all. No Exit, Perfect Symmetry, Darkness in a Different Light and Theories of Flight are all excellent albums. Granted, I prefer the Arch era but still...

4. Dream Theater in general?
A fantastic progressive metal band that became blinded by ludicrous excess once Moore left the band. I liked Metropolis Pt. II but after that, each album was really inconsistent. Even more so when Portnoy left.

5. Virgin Steele, where do they rank in your metal pantheon?
Pretty high. Don't know where I'd put them exactly. I think their '80s material is a bit inconsistent in comparison to their '90s work due to them not knowing whether they were going to be epic heavy metal or party rock. That being said, I still like Guardians of the Flame and Noble Savage (their first essential release, in my opinion). The '90s stuff kicks ass though.

6. Ares Kingdom, where do they rank in your metal pantheon?
Didn't listen to a single track by them until you mentioned them in this questionnaire. I started listening to Return to Dust a short while ago and it's pretty good so far. I will listen further.

7. Place the following doom metal bands in order of preference: Candlemass, Pagan Altar, Pentagram, Saint Vitus, Solitude Aeturnus, Trouble

1. Candlemass
2. Solitude Aeturnus
3. Saint Vitus
4. Trouble
5. Pagan Altar
6. Pentagram

8. Place the following thrash metal bands in order of preference: Artillery, Dark Angel, Demolition Hammer, Exhorder, Flotsam and Jetsam, Holy Terror, Sabbat (UK)

1. Artillery
2. Demolition Hammer
3. Dark Angel
4. Flotsam and Jetsam
5. Sabbat
6. Holy Terror
7. Exhorder

Last edited:
Reactions: HamburgerBoy
1. Exodus, do you like them, what's your favorite album, what are your thoughts on the first two Zetro albums
3. Alder-era Fates Warning in general
4. Dream Theater in general
7. Place the following doom metal bands in order of preference: Candlemass, Pagan Altar, Pentagram, Saint Vitus, Solitude Aeturnus, Trouble
8. Place the following thrash metal bands in order of preference: Artillery, Dark Angel, Demolition Hammer, Exhorder, Flotsam and Jetsam, Holy Terror, Sabbat (UK)

this should've been subtler, most of these are obviously loaded. i wish i could answer more of them, you should throw out some more imho

1) you know i likes me some exodus. fav songs are 'deliver us to evil', 'piranha' and 'fabulous disaster' - can't remember the second album well at all.

2, 3, 4) mostly not informed enough to say. i like no exit and i reckon i'd be quite receptive toward dream theater these days. used to think of THE LEGACY as being good at what it was but kinda unnotable identity wise, but i haven't heard it in a long while. don't think i've ever heard the sophomore.

5) only heard the heaven and hell albums, not close to being favourites of mine but i like them to a 3.5 sorta level. not sure why they're in this test as they don't seem particularly in crowd or out crowd.

6) i recall thinking they could be rly good if they cut out all the excess fat. kinda like recent vektor actually. about a 3 star band.

7) peak level: trouble (5), pentagram (5), vitus (5), candlemass (5), pagan altar (4).
overall: vitus (4.5), candlemass (4), trouble (4), pagan altar (4), pentagram (3.5).

haven't heard solitude aeturnus in ages. don't mostly care for the later trouble stuff you like, it's probably better written if anything though, just in a style (or styles) i get nothing out of. all six of these bands are very in-crowd friendly, no?

8) this seems like a better test. holy terror are a 4, dark angel and dem ham are both 3-3.5 sorta territory on their first two, f&j's debut is a 3, sabbat's albums are a 3 and 2.5. been too long since i heard exhorder or artillery but would've had them around 2.5-3 level back in t' day.

1. Exodus, do you like them, what's your favorite album, what are your thoughts on the first two Zetro albums

They're solid and recognize they're good, just never feel the need to listen to them. Bonded By Blood was the album I listened to most when I did listen, though the early Zetro albums are solid.

Testament is boring as fuck.

3. Alder-era Fates Warning in general

Not as good as Arch era, but still generally not bad

4. Dream Theater in general

Talented, but fucking dull

Their stretch of albums from The Marriage of Heaven and Hell - Part One through The House of Atreus: Act II fucking rule. Great band during those years, but wew did they get shitty lately. Early stuff isn't awful. If only counting the 90s/early 00s output then one of my favorite heavy metal bands, but career as a whole brings them down a lot.

Probably my favorite modern death metal band.

Saint Vitus, Candlemass, Pentagram, Trouble, Pagan Altar, Solitude Aeternus

Holy Terror
Artillery
Sabbat
Dark Angel
Demolition Hammer
Flotsam and Jetsam
Exhorder

Yeah I was going to quote him on how bad his taste has devolved over the years but you beat me to it

my top 10 artists on my old last.fm account from like 2005

Pain of Salvation
Dream Theater
Death
Iron Maiden
Iced Earth
Falconer
Megadeth
AFI
Ayreon
Blind Guardian

doesn't even resemble anything i listen to now