Controversial opinions on metal

Look at this another shitty top 100 metal albums list. Came across this a while ago, there are pretty good choices beside some fucking shitty ones.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/l...6923/metallica-master-of-puppets-1986-w487055
I'll admit, I thought this was pretty decent in comparison to some of the absolute heinous ones I've seen in the past. Regarding the top ten, I would never put British Steel that high. If anything, Sin After Sin should be in Stained Class's place and Stained Class should be in British Steel's place.

Same with Iron Maiden. Hell I'd probably have Powerslave and Number of the Beast switch places entirely.

What I find totally absurd is that the only Sepultura album on this entire list is Chaos A.D.

Last edited:
Of course, Rolling Stone is notorious for having bad taste in rock to begin with, and that's their area of focus. They rarely catch a classic album the first time around but then 20 years later, can't get off the same album's nuts. Why would we expect them to do a good job on metal, a genre they really only test the water with?

Yeah that alone deligitimizes the authors, if the inclusion of Slipknot, Korn and Body Count didn't already.
I don't really know why you're surprised by Rolling Stone's omission of Sad Wings of Destiny or Sin After Sin. In the caption for every Judas Priest pick, they always seem to berate '70s Priest. Hell, the only reason they put Stained Class on there is because that was the first time they ever charted.

Last edited:
I don't really know why you're surprised by Rolling Stone's omission of Sad Wings of Destiny or Sin After Sin. In the caption for every Judas Priest pick, they always seem to berate '70s Priest. Hell, the only reason they put Stained Class on there is because that was the first time they ever charted.

I'm not surprised at all. I know what a garbage publication Rolling Stone is.

Reactions: H.P. Lovecraft
Oh you're back. Maybe this thread will see a resurgence again now.

Hello. Yes, I was reading about the rolling stone magazine in this thread. It inspired myself to write an opinion on it. I remember when I read an interview with Ozzy Osbourne, where he said that, in his opinion, Black Sabbath arent Heavy Metal.