Controversial opinions on metal

When Metallica appeared in the 90`s or whenever it was, I thought to myself, these are shit, and are going to ruin rock / metal. And other than the usual sheep that say they like them, at the end of their career, now, metal / rock is dead. I used to see many many rock fans with the tour shirts etc walking around everywhere, but nowadays, nothing. Metallica and their other peers killed it.

Argh..don't ..feed...troll...hhhnnnngg...ugh...

You think Im trolling? Read it again and ponder as to whether I may in fact be giving my opinion, and it is based in truth. I am a huge rock fan, and found bands of the seventies and eighties to be superb andextremely talented. However it clearly changed when Metallica came along, and others similar. It wasnt good to listen to. I knew that was the end of rock. In the eighties there were lots of rock fans with their leathers and denims and band t-shirts on. Nowadays there are virtually none. No-one wants to listen to Metallicas music, other than the sheep, and a decade or so of them and their ilk, killed it. Troll? read the thread title.

It should've been Overkill.
The funny thing is that they probably would have been the best band of the four had they been put in that category. It's really hard to take Anthrax's socially-conscious aspects seriously when their music is some of the tamest and least interesting material in the genre.

Exodus. Overkill is good, but they weren't pioneers like Metallica/Megadeth/Slayer/Exodus were.
Wasn't Overkill releasing material around the same time as Exodus? They were performing/recording demo material around the same period and both of their debuts released in 1985.

Wasn't Overkill releasing material around the same time as Exodus? They were performing/recording demo material around the same period and both of their debuts released in 1985.

Exodus makes some sense, but I am also taking how old the band is into account.

If age is all that matters, call the big four Faithful Breath/Blind Illusion/Hades/some other band.

The members of Overkill had been playing in bands longer than those of Exodus, but Exodus was playing thrash much earlier. And there isn't really a comparison between Bonded By Blood (a genre-defining album half of which was written in 1983) and Feel the Fire (approximately only half thrash metal, half USPM, with the former songs written later than the latter). The Power in Black demo is approximately as thrash metal as what Omen and Griffin were doing at the same time, and keep in mind that the demo was released months after songs like Strike of the Beast were.

EDIT: And fwiw I consider Feel the Fire to be a 5-star masterpiece, it's just not of the same historical relevance as Bonded By Blood.

Oh shit, I never realised that both Overkill and Exodus released their debut albums in 1985. I was always under the impression that Overkill were a year or two ahead of Exodus.

It's a common UltraBoris-invented myth. Some of the Overkill guys were doing punk in the 70s and they played metal in the 80s so it makes logical sense that they may have been an early band to engage in genre miscegenation, but it didn't really actually happen.

No, given this I am with you on Exodus now. I was only saying Overkill because they reached a level of fame, were also generally rather consistent and had seniority over Exodus but now that I know the last bit is wrong, it should be Exodus.

I don't hate Anthrax by any means even though they nosedived into a bathtub of feces really early in their career, but Exodus should be the replacement for Anthrax.

Bonded by Blood is definitely much more genre-defining than Feel the Fire. Without a doubt.
It is also more genre-defining than possibly anything Anthrax ever released in my opinion.

IThe members of Overkill had been playing in bands longer than those of Exodus, but Exodus was playing thrash much earlier. And there isn't really a comparison between Bonded By Blood (a genre-defining album half of which was written in 1983) and Feel the Fire (approximately only half thrash metal, half USPM, with the former songs written later than the latter). The Power in Black demo is approximately as thrash metal as what Omen and Griffin were doing at the same time, and keep in mind that the demo was released months after songs like Strike of the Beast were.
That's fair.