Controversial opinions on metal

I mean, if we're focusing more on sales, Anthrax and Testament deserve to be put above all the German bands.

They had the sound, but not the riffs. I can accept putting Sodom over Destruction, though not Kreator over Destruction.

Kreator is very weak. Pleasure to Kill is the only necessary Kreator album. Endless Pain is as mediocre as it gets, and most of the stuff post-PtK isn't even worth discussing.

If it wasn't for their famed youth they wouldn't have anything going for them other than being semi-early on the alt-thrash scene with Act III.
Kreator is excellent, but we may as well agree to disagree on that at this point.

I tend to see more opinions of Kreator being the weakest of the big 3, and I've seen quite a few opinions of people that don't like Sodom at all but like Kreator and Destruction. Destruction is my favourite of the 3.

Death Angel being ranked around Coroner is something I definitely can't get behind. They're pretty mediocre.

Last edited:
Nah it should be about respect, not sales. l love a good deal of early Anthrax but l don't think they should have been Big 4.
Although saying that, the influence they had on the next wave - particularly the Meshuggah's of this world is undeniable

Frolic through the park and yes, Act III are progressive thrash classics, that's why they should be higher

Maybe just "extreme metal" in general? I'd say Hell Awaits had just as much influence on black metal as it did death metal. RiB is definitely more death metal orientated, though.

From Germany, for me, it would be Sodom first, Destruction coming at an extremely close second and Kreator being third by far.

yes, big four was basically the four most popular thrash bands in the US.
Destruction should not be that high, and Overkill curbstomps Sepultura.
Twatcraft, Destruction should definitely be "that high" and the best Sepultura albums absolutely curb-stomp and annihilate the best Overkill albums. no fuckin comparison.

I tend to see more opinions of Kreator being the weakest of the big 3
Kreator has almost always been considered the best of the "Teutonic big three" by most people. I personally dont have a favorite when it comes to them. Sodom have the most albums i like, but PtK and Eternal Devastation are better than anything Sodom have done imo.

Sodom has always been my favorite without much contest. I also appreciate that they're still releasing decent music, something I don't feel like the other two are doing.

I like Kreator and try not to sell them short but I just like the whole first wave black metal evil Motörhead.

tumblr_nsatz942Zk1s9ymy6o1_400.gif

The funny thing is that they probably would have been the best band of the four had they been put in that category.

Lulz

i think a big ten would be slayer, metallica, megadeth, sodom, kreator, destruction, dark angel, exodus, overkill and sepultura.

Replace Dark Angel with Testament and i think we would have the official "Big Ten" list right there.

Overkill only has two eternal classics for me, Feel the Fire and Horrorscope, pretty strong discography all things considered but not the greatest. At least a few crappy albums in there too, e.g. Necroshine.