Controversial opinions on metal

Sacramentum and Dawn > Dissection

Shouldn’t really be controversial imo. Far Away from the Sun is my favourite album in this style by quite a margin. I still haven’t really heard anything that builds on the sounds of that album in anything more than a superficial way.

Glad this thread has been unlocked!

not that much? So how much exactly? Just a little? 38%? Please inform me. If they sounded "THAT MUCH" like Dissection they would have been a much better band. So i kind of agree with you there.

They're basically what i said they are, a more accessible version of what Dissection was doing that is geared towards the more casual/plebeian driven tastes out there.

I actually agree with Necros on that point. I struggle when deciding which bandis ultimately better but when it comes to deciding which is more accessible, I'd have an easier time saying that in regards to Dissection.

define accessible music. I have a feeling you guys are misusing that word here.
Accessible as in "easier to enjoy" in this context. Less abrasive or overwhelming. Granted, some tracks on SotLB like Unhallowed and Soulreaper don't really fit that definition but tracks like Where Dead Angels Lie, Thorns of Crimson Death, Night's Blood (in some parts) do fit. It doesn't really make them bad though.

Easier to listen to. Which makes a generic, by the book and somewhat ho-hum melodic black metal album like Far Away From The Sun much more accessible. There is far more going on in any of those two Dissection albums. Don't get me wrong, that doesn't necessarily make Far Away a bad album. I give it a 4/5, and i'm being a little generous there too.

dissection is poppier than FAFTS
that's why Mort and Phylactery enjoy the latter more, 'mirite? :lol:

and lol at referring to anything on that album as "chaotic". by the book melodic black metal. And like i said, there's no denying that the Dissection albums are denser and there is far more going on there, so my point on accessibility is spot on i'd say.

There’s absolutely nothing “by the books” about FaFtS. It also sounds almost nothing like Dissection. Far more in common with early AtG and even Pure Holocaust era Immortal. There are no thrash or trad metal leanings unlike with Dissection.

And I don’t think it’s unarguable that Dissection is more dense. FaFtS is more layered and took more listens for me to appreciate. Dissection was more instantly enjoyable, but ultimately less rewarding for me.

There’s absolutely nothing “by the books” about FaFtS. It also sounds almost nothing like Dissection. Far more in common with early AtG and even Pure Holocaust era Immortal. There are no thrash or trad metal leanings unlike with Dissection.

And I don’t think it’s unarguable that Dissection is more dense. FaFtS is more layered and took more listens for me to appreciate. Dissection was more instantly enjoyable, but ultimately less rewarding for me.

so a melodic black metal album sounds almost nothing like the band that basically fathered that subgenre? :lol:

"thrash leanings"? lulz. thanks for the good laugh my man.

Far more in common with early AtG and even Pure Holocaust era Immortal.
Lmfao, sorry but this is where i stop listening to anything you have to say on this subject.