Controversial opinions on metal

would you call any of the three bands i linked boring?

I'm not going to sit through those three albums and I'm only slightly familiar with Witchhaven and Assaulter (not at all with Execution), but based on the first song from each:

Witchhaven: mix of standard thrash metal and more melodic black metal, a bit sterile, boring

Execution: promising start, once the main riff comes in it falls back to standard writing but the sound is a bit more malicious sounding, like the ugly vox, good bridge section, not boring but wasted potential to be interesting

Assaulter: this is a lot more raw than I remember them being, kinda Urm the Mad-era Protector vibes crossed with something else, transitions are more fluid and it's legitimately atmospheric without sacrificing its thrash basis, very good and I should listen to this album again assuming I didn't just confuse it with Ares Kingdom's Incendiary

I'm not going to sit through those three albums and I'm only slightly familiar with Witchhaven and Assaulter (not at all with Execution), but based on the first few song from each:

Witchhaven: mix of standard thrash metal and more melodic black metal, a bit sterile, boring

Execution: promising start, once the main riff comes in it falls back to standard writing but the sound is a bit more malicious sounding, like the ugly vox, good bridge section, not boring but wasted potential to be interesting

Assaulter: this is a lot more raw than I remember them being, kinda Urm the Mad-era Protector vibes crossed with something else, transitions are more fluid and it's legitimately atmospheric without sacrificing its thrash basis, very good and I should listen to this album again assuming I didn't just confuse it with Ares Kingdom's Incendiary

I didn't ask you to sit through them, i actually hate full album links myself. I was guessing you would have already been familiar with the bands.

Whats weird to me is that you think Witchaven sounded more "sterile" to you than Execution. Which is pretty much by the books blackened thrash.

edit: That Assaulter album has such a wicked guitar sound/tone

Dunno, the Witchhaven still felt very retro-thrash to me in the 200x sense of the word, bouncy up-beat riffs and the vocals had hints of that SKRAMZ thing. Execution might be generic, I don't really listen to blackened thrash to have a hierarchy of the various bands and sub-styles, but it felt like properly blackened thrash while Witchhaven sounded like kids trying to be blackened thrash. If I had to rate them for overall quality/enjoyment I'd give them a 4/10 and a 5.5/10 respectively so not really a huge difference.

Dunno, the Witchhaven still felt very retro-thrash to me in the 200x sense of the word, bouncy up-beat riffs and the vocals had hints of that SKRAMZ thing. Execution might be generic, I don't really listen to blackened thrash to have a hierarchy of the various bands and sub-styles, but it felt like properly blackened thrash while Witchhaven sounded like kids trying to be blackened thrash. If I had to rate them for overall quality/enjoyment I'd give them a 4/10 and a 5.5/10 respectively so not really a huge difference.

Neither one of them are "kids trying", but Execution are closer to what you're trying to get at. I love both of 'em and think they are two of the best blackened thrash bands around. Here are some of favs from each...

+ the opener you heard

+ the opener you heard

edit: oh shit that's Sabbatical Massacre i linked? Fuck it, that's a good track too.

z9gqMMw.jpg

Reactions: CiG and The Ozzman