Controversial opinions on metal

A friend was jamming the CD on site today and I was like "damn this crushes" haha.

Lots of people look down on that album because of the rap track at the end but that's one of the best tracks tbh. By the Light is a classic as far as I'm concerned

Obitiary is the king of knuckle dragger death metal

And no one likes The Jester Race at least?

Moonshield - 3.5/5 (very folky)
The Jester's Dance/Artifacts of the Black Rain - 3/5, 2.5/5 (former instrumental intro which almost sounds like Annihilator, latter has its moments but is a bit too cheesy on a whole)
Wayfaerer - 2.5/5 (instrumental, a little shifty/tech-y around the beginning, pretty generic riffs, a couple mediocre keyboard solos)
Dead God in Me - 2/5
Lord Hypnos - 2/5
Graveland - 2/5 (typical Gothenburg)
Dead Eternity - 1.5/5 (intro melody is very Maiden, has some of the most death metal moments (albeit still melodic), overall feels hackneyed)
December Flower - 1.5/5 (good solo, otherwise the riffs are still non-existent and melodies predictable high-low-then-low-high shit)
The Jester Race - 1/5 (has that Sound the Alarm delay melody intro, the rest of the song is hideous melodrama)

2/5 album if I'm being generous

I recall thinking Lunar Strain was decent.

Just as bad

In Flames - 3/5 (might be a 3.5 if not for more tired melodic trem-picking in the bridge)
Upon an Oaken Throne - 3/5 (a bit of Metallica here, thrashy)
Behind Space - 3/5
Hårgalåten - 3/5 (instrumental, little folksy thing, apparently a cover)
Lunar Strain - 2.5/5
Everlost (Part I)/Part (II) - 2.5/5, 2/5 (former doom-power or something, melodic and slow) (latter acoustic thing with female vocals)
Clad in Shadows - 2/5
Dreamscape - 1.5/5 (instrumental, boring)
Starforsaken - 1/5 (chuggery mixed with with Running Wild-esque tremolo picking, that little mini solo is pathetic)

Yeah, Lunar Strain and Subterranean is probably the closest they ever came to being decent. Early Dark Tranquillity was always much better. Shame Skydancer features Friden’s shitty vocals. Easily one of the worst metal vocalists I’ve heard.

im seriously convinced blasphemy made flesh is better than none so vile
idk if thats controversial or not

Lol, there’s plenty of good melodeath. It just doesn’t tend to sound like In Flames/Soilwork/Children of Bodom etc.

Melodeath =/= death metal that is melodic

And if you're thinking of Dissection, they suck regardless.

Ashore the Celestial Burden is the closest I'll accept as an exception, but that's basically a trad doom album with power metal influence and some death/thrash riffing.

I know that, I was talking about shit like the following:

Dark Tranquillity - Skydancer/Of Chaos and Eternal Night, The Gallery
Decameron - My Shadow...
Eucharist - Mirrorworlds
Cardinal Sin - Spiteful Intents
A Canorous Quintet - Silence of the World Beyond
Sacrilege - Lost in the Beauty You Slay
A Mind Confused - Anarchos
Ablaze My Sorrow - If Emotions Still Burn

A lot of this doesn’t really qualify as “melodic death metal” imo in the way that something like The Red in the Sky is Ours or A Velvet Creation does. Although certainly closer to it than most of what In Flames has ever done.

Dissection certainly don’t suck. Have no idea how someone like you wouldn’t like Night’s Blood or Retribution/Storm of the Light’s Bane at least.

Skydancer is crap but to be fair I've only heard Silence of the World Beyond (and maybe Mirrorworlds though I don't think so) out of the rest of those.

Wouldn't go that far but definitely one of the most overrated metal bands in the history of GMD

I'd say their overratedness is pretty ubiquitous with metal fandom in general. GMD likes them, ANUS likes them, RYM likes them, M-A likes them