Controversial opinions on metal

I’m not sure which type of metalhead actually worships Cynic, but I’ve never met them. It’s an album that time has kinda forgotten I think.

Reactions: Onder
Traced in Air is fairly garbage aside from maybe two songs.

Atheist is a little overrated but that doesn't stop Unquestionable Presence from being mostly-excellent (despite its fairly average riffs) and Elements from being nearly perfect. To me it's an appeal similar to the first two Megadeth albums, it's not so much the fact that it's technical and whatever as much as it is groovy, springy, and refreshingly uplifting/empowering music.

Reactions: CiG
Atheist are one of the tech-death bands that didn't alienate people like me who didn't really get into tech-death, if that makes sense. Basically a pretty good entry-level tech band that aged nicely and has a lot of appeal outside of technicality.

Mikael Akerfeldt Says Black Sabbath Doesn't Rival Top-Form Deep Purple

“When Deep Purple are on top form, there is no other band that can rival that. You couldn’t put Led Zeppelin against Deep Purple on top form… they would disappear. And especially Black Sabbath, they wouldn’t stand a chance! It’s high energy at the top of its game.

“I think Ritchie Blackmore was at his best between 1970 and 1973. He made some fantastic records after that of course, some of which people might think were lacklustre, like Burn or Stormbringer. He still played great on those records, but maybe he was a little jaded.

“This version of Child In Time is my favourite; it’s what I put on when I’m in the mood to listen to that song. I actually found my first copy in a garbage heap, where people just dump their fuckin’ household rubbish. There was a stack of records with this on top… for some reason, I felt like a criminal for taking the whole pile so I didn’t. I’ve been upset with myself for not taking all of it ever since… because I’ll never know what else was there! But at least I got my first copy of Made In Japan.”

well at the least he is 100% correct about the Led Zeppelin part.

I don't agree with him but the number of people that dismiss Deep Purple because of muh organs makes me sympathetic. At the very least, Deep Purple pioneered certain aspects of metal beyond what Black Sabbath did, and they deserve just as much recognition as grandfathers of the entire genre.

i haven't run into many older people who dismiss them. Most have said they're just as good if not better tbh. I've heard plenty of people say that they were far better musicians, but that doesn't make them the better band imo.

oh and Jon Lord was a fucking god, fuck the haters/children.

People probably basing that opinion on 30 seconds of one of their hit singles rather than the first or second album.

Sounding the Seventh Trumpet does not sound like anything else A7X did.