Controversial opinions on metal

I never liked Vinnie Paul's drumming. He's good, but gets overrated by some people out there. Not only that but sometimes his kit is mixed really poorly. Take this song for example, Vince's kick drum sounds like he's tap dancing FFS.

Reactions: CiG
That drum sound would be a direct barrier for me ever getting into that album. Some things I can forgive but drumming is my pet peeve.
Both The Great Southern Trendkill & Reinventing the Steel have much better drumkit sounds, although stylistically different from Far Beyond Driven.

Not black metal at all? I think you’re going a bit far there.

Tbh if you didnt hear any of the rest of their work you'd think this was just a doom metal album. (because it is)

I love the album but its pretty thin on black metal. I wont go all HBB on it but I'm just not hearing it.

Whatever it is, it rules. I do think there’s enough black metal in its sound to not take issue with that being listed as a secondary genre.

But yeah, doesn’t sound like Master’s Hammer’s Ritual, but these two bands are often compared and I was just qualifying my opinion by naming my two favourite Root albums and saying I like them more than my favourite MH (is anyone’s favourite Master’s Hammer NOT Ritual?!)

I never liked Vinnie Paul's drumming. He's good, but gets overrated by some people out there. Not only that but sometimes his kit is mixed really poorly. Take this song for example, Vince's kick drum sounds like he's tap dancing FFS.

Yeah, he was nothing special at all as drummer, but now that he's dead and being brother of Dimebag, he'll be untouchable. Pantera got big due Dime and Phil's work mostly. Rex and Vinnie were totally replaceable members.

Reactions: jimmy101
This is probably not controversial at all. While i like me some black metalz there's no denying it has by far has the worst fanbase out of any subgenre of metal. The most pretentious, elitist, try hard baggets the world of metal has ever seen.

There was a period of time where I nearly exclusively listened to black metal in my late teens/early 20s and thought I was too cool for this planet because of it. What a waste.
yeah i ended a couple friendships back then because a few of my buddies had the same mentality. One of my best friends literally started listening to black metal around 97 i wanna say, and completely changed. Started only buying black metal albums from people off forums and i think he also went and purchased a high horse while he was at it. And it was weird to me because we both started with thrash. I remember him playing Transilvanian Hunger and some Emperor for me to get into and i was like "wtf is this crap?". Even dragged me to a few shows with him. My breaking point was when he took my to a Cradle of Filth show, which ended up with me basically saying to myself "yea fuck this shit". We still talk sometimes though lol

edit: i wish someone played me some Dissection instead back then.

This is probably not controversial at all. While i like me some black metalz there's no denying it has by far has the worst fanbase out of any subgenre of metal. The most pretentious, elitist, try hard baggets the world of metal has ever seen.

Some of them reside right here in this forum too (or at least used to)

Also: Pantera never had a bad album once Phil joined.

Last edited:
Reactions: jimmy101
Not worst than progressive metal fans, especially Dream Theater/Opeth/Tool/Porcupine Tree fans.