Controversial opinions on metal

I don't know why you laugh, when most bands struggle to put together 3-5 coherent releases, while Leviathan has upwards of 10. The guy has done somewhere around 20 full lengths between Leviathan/Lurker of Chalice.

Maybe the most esteemed bands of the decade, like Drudkh and DsO have done more, but I stand by my statement of Leviathan being a top band of the last 10 years.

honestly that band puts me to sleep... that's why i laughed

Xasthur/Leviathan
The Blind Wound Ep (Sapthuran/Leviathan)
A Portrait In Scars (Blackdeath/Leviathan)
Tentacles of Whorror

Should all be held as significant releases in the following years. I can't imagine they'd be held as boring, as they're all prety uptempo aside from X/L, which is just amazing post-Burzum BM.

Xasthur/Leviathan
The Blind Wound Ep (Sapthuran/Leviathan)
A Portrait In Scars (Blackdeath/Leviathan)
Tentacles of Whorror

Should all be held as significant releases in the following years. I can't imagine they'd be held as boring, as they're all prety uptempo aside from X/L, which is just amazing post-Burzum BM.

i've got the xasthur/leviathan split and tenth level burned... i'll give them another spin but honestly when i listened to them i was just expecting so much more than what was there... i feel the same way about xasthur... that guy seems to use 2-3 types of riffs/patterns over and over and over again for every freaking song album after album... ugh

I won't disagree that Xasthur does a lot of the same thing from release to release, but Leviathan really changes it up. It's hard to blame bands on structural grounds when most bands throughout the history of metal have used typical structures. Songs like "Abysmal Depths Are Flooded" by Xasthur are pretty fucked up in terms of riff composition. But yeah, the gist of Xasthur is that arpeggios are played over Burzum style riffs, with more aggression, usually. If you like it it's a great band, if not, maybe it's not for you. Leviathan has much more variety in tempo and mood.

I prefer Death Metal over all. Black Metal is close though. I just have a hard time finding good BM bands because the scene is so saturated with complete shit. I am very very picky with production btw.

To me good production is not squeaky clean production you would find on a modern Hip-Hop album. The best production is lo-fi but not evil kvlt gr1m n3ckr0 production.

Early bands such as Mayhem, Darkthrone, and Burzum have great production as far as Black Metal goes. The static sound of the guitars are in the background but you can hear the riffs easily. The drums aren't high in the mix and the vocals are easy to hear. Another good example of good production is Leviathan on the Crebain/Leviathan split. I can actually hear the bass lines. Holy fuck.

In before flames

I prefer Death Metal over all. Black Metal is close though. I just have a hard time finding good BM bands because the scene is so saturated with complete shit. I am very very picky with production btw.

I got into black metal before death metal but its been mainly death for many years now. I recently started to get back into the genre but its oversaturrated with bad bands that do nothing for me and sound just like the next band. The best new stuff I've found so far is Drudkh. Im also big on good production that suits the music and alot of the bands go for a bad production just for the hell of it which I cant understand at all.

I got into black metal before death metal but its been mainly death for many years now. I recently started to get back into the genre but its oversaturrated with bad bands that do nothing for me and sound just like the next band. The best new stuff I've found so far is Drudkh. Im also big on good production that suits the music and alot of the bands go for a bad production just for the hell of it which I cant understand at all.

I've heard small amounts of Drudkh... what album would you recommend?

Progressive has the most variety & is usually the most interesting. I listen to a lot of instrumental progressive metal bands too.

Honestly, I don't like Progressive all that much. I like some Opeth and Symphony X but that's about it.

Honestly, I don't like Progressive all that much. I like some Opeth and Symphony X but that's about it.

Lotsa good instrumental bands like Planet X, Spastic Ink, Art Metal, Altera Enigma, ect. When I said what I said I was kind of lumping them in with progressive metal to a degree.

To me good production is not squeaky clean production you would find on a modern Hip-Hop album. The best production is lo-fi but not evil kvlt gr1m n3ckr0 production.

Early bands such as Mayhem, Darkthrone, and Burzum have great production as far as Black Metal goes. The static sound of the guitars are in the background but you can hear the riffs easily. The drums aren't high in the mix and the vocals are easy to hear. Another good example of good production is Leviathan on the Crebain/Leviathan split. I can actually hear the bass lines. Holy fuck.

In before flames

The bass guitar has huge potential in traditional Black Metal. Listen to bands like Behexen who retain a great atmosphere with very audible bass lines that often harmonize with the guitar melodies rather than just play the root. Leviathan's latest also harnessing this potential.

I've heard small amounts of Drudkh... what album would you recommend?

Autumn Aurora.

Giving this album another listen, and I've gotten used to the production at this point, but still, the ride cymbal is too loud and the snare isn't loud enough. The vocals and synths bury the guitar oftentimes.

Thousand Swords is probably my least favorite Graveland album. The guitar tone on Following the Voice of Blood however is even worse.