Controversial opinions on metal

I mean, if Despise the Sun had been a full length, I would think that as the best Suffocation full length. In terms of full lengths, I would probably go:

*Despise the Sun
Effigy
Breeding
Pierced
ST/Souls to Deny
*Human Waste
Pinnacle of Bedlam
...Of the Dark Light
Blood Oath

*if EPs included, this is how the list would fare

More people need to put Suffo in their list of bands to do for the next poll instead of all thrash

Last edited:
Reactions: CiG
Mine would be something like:

Pierced From Within
Effigy of the Forgotten
Breeding the Spawn
Despise the Sun
Suffocation
Souls to Deny
Human Waste
...Of the Dark Light
Blood Oath
Pinnacle of Bedlam

Not sure which one is my fav, possibly Effigy, but sometimes I prefer Pierced.

I uploaded a clip of them from their tour last year. Incredible live band, definitely a top 5 for DM. Sad to see that this was Frank's last show :(

Reactions: CiG
I remember when I saw them after Pinnacle of Bedlam came out I asked Terrance which riffs were his favorites and it blew my mind when he said "All my old riffs SUCK!" :lol:

I just went ahead and took it off.
CroMags are proto-metalcore, but I guess that ain't really the same.
View attachment 23327
a lot of thrash combines "punk with heavy metal" ... that's actually one of the defining aspects of the genre of thrash metal. So no, that does not in equation make Cro-Mags or thrash metal "proto-metalcore". What a ridiculous thing to imply.

Reactions: Sophii

... these bands have absolutely nothing to do with Cro-Mags, DRI, Agnostic Front, Discharge etc

Thats because most modern metalcore are at the gates worship and gay emo faggots.

Original metallic hardcore had its hand influenced by crossover bands, crust bands, and hardcore punk- particularly new York hardcore bands.

Botch, Converge, Coalesce (though more groove oriented), Shai Hulud, Deadguy, Madball - these are all the original metalcore sounds. All hardcore rooted but enjoyed metal and incorporated metal riffs.