Controversial opinions on metal

I've never listened to any of their albums all the way though, but I've heard plenty of their songs before. They aren't any more complex than complex bands of any other genre, and they aren't better musicians than the best musicians of any other genre.

Perhaps not THE best, but each member is ONE of the best musicians of their instrument, and it's a fact you cannot deny. And as with any other good band, there's more to their music than mere complexity, surely there are more complex bands out there but that's not relevant.

Anybody who doesn't like Crimson is a fucking faggot. Mort, you're a faggot, go wear your toe socks somewhere else, you gotta get da fukk up outta hurr.

:lol:

There are some good riffs to be found in Crimson, but on the whole it just drags on like 15 minutes too long.

I've never listened to any of their albums all the way though, but I've heard plenty of their songs before. They aren't any more complex than complex bands of any other genre, and they aren't better musicians than the best musicians of any other genre.
You can pretty much say the same thing for just about every single genre of music. Yes, there are more underground bands that are much better/more unique than the most influential/popular ones, since when has that been news?

Actually, I would classify bands like Dream Theater, Symphony X, Evergrey, Pagan's Mind, and Queensryche all as power metal with progressive elements.

That would put Opeth and Messhuga as Death Metal with Progressive elements..

Do Dream Theater have Power Metal characteristics? i was just making a point not stating a fact.

Dream Theater, power metal? Seems like a bit of a streeeeeeeeeetch.

I don't know. I don't think it's too much of a stretch, personally. I hear a lot of power metal when I listen to Dream Theater.

That would put Opeth and Messhuga as Death Metal with Progressive elements..

Not necessarily. I'm only speaking of power metal. I'm not sure what you would call Opeth and Meshuggah, but you definitely would not call them power metal. However, that doesn't mean they have to be called death metal either.

I do see what you are trying to say it's just i see in Dream Theater at least more Heavy Metal than any Power Metal.

Well, you could call them heavy metal. In fact, now that you say that I might be persuaded to lean that way as well. I only meant to imply that I think there are better, more specific categories for these bands than "progressive." Since it's been brought up, I really agree that "progressive" is more of an attribute, not a genre in and of itself.

Actually, I would classify bands like Dream Theater, Symphony X, Evergrey, Pagan's Mind, and Queensryche all as power metal with progressive elements.

All those bands except DT have a lot of power metal elements, so your post is kind of correct.

@ 1st Metalheads, Dream Theater is pretty much an underground band. They just happen to be one of the most talented underground bands, which has earned them a legend status underground and a small mainstream recognition.
Other than the failed Falling Into Infinity, they made no real attempts at making their music more accessible for the public, unlike most other metal bands that somehow achieved a certain mainstream popularity. The reason Dream Theater are as popular as they are is simply sheer awesomeness alone.

Well, you could call them heavy metal. In fact, now that you say that I might be persuaded to lean that way as well. I only meant to imply that I think there are better, more specific categories for these bands than "progressive." Since it's been brought up, I really agree that "progressive" is more of an attribute, not a genre in and of itself.

That's why i consider Meshuggah the most Progressive Metal band out there. they keep trying something new to make progress in music. somehow, most progressive music does not sound quite like them at all so there must be some kind of tag given if only by the listeners.

I don't know. I don't think it's too much of a stretch, personally. I hear a lot of power metal when I listen to Dream Theater.

I hear a lot of heavy/traditional metal influence that co-exists in a lot of power metal as well. I don't think they'd agree if you were to ask them if they considered themselves a power metal band in the slightest, I guess is what I'm trying to say.

That's why i consider Meshuggah the most Progressive Metal band out there. they keep trying something new to make progress in music. somehow, most progressive music does not sound quite like them at all so there must be some kind of tag given if only by the listeners.

Uh, correct me if I'm wrong, but last I checked Meshuggah sound the exact same on most of their albums. Just because they play with ridiculously-convoluted time signatures does not make their music any more "progressive", especially given how much they abuse that formula.

Not all extreme metal is open string palm mutes and four note tremolo riffs. There is plenty of death metal that is more complex, more technical, and far better written than fucking Dream Theater and the like. Get familiar with death metal before you make such a comment.

No, not all, but a lot of the extreme bands that people go apeshit over do that stuff way too much. I know DT are not the most insane technical band on the planet. They're far from it, but they're better songwriters a lot of those tech bands that might come to mind... There are a shit fuck load of shitty tech death bands...

Progressive Metal has bands that write great music too. Do you just want to listen to nothing but power chords, open string palm mutes, 4 note tremolo picking riffs, & 15 second out of key solos all day?? :lol: :lol: :lol: That shit would get so fucking boring, I don't know how you do it.
Well, here's the thing: not all music that isn't prog metal is really simplistic crap. There are loads of death, black, and power metal bands that have progressive tendencies but are firmly rooted in their respective genres. Also, I don't actually listen to music 12 hours a day.

Not familiar with Evergrey or Pagan's Mind. Symphony X and Queensryche definitely have power metal elements; Symphony X could be called prog/power, but I would say that Queensryche have far more traditional prog metal elements and fall pretty squarely within progressive metal, defining progressive metal as being tradition heavy metal infused with loads of progressiveness. Dream Theater have no discernible elements of power metal, imo. They sound like an extremely melodic progressive heavy metal band.

@ 1st Metalheads, Dream Theater is pretty much an underground band. They just happen to be one of the most talented underground bands, which has earned them a legend status underground and a small mainstream recognition.
Other than the failed Falling Into Infinity, they made no real attempts at making their music more accessible for the public, unlike most other metal bands that somehow achieved a certain mainstream popularity. The reason Dream Theater are as popular as they are is simply sheer awesomeness alone.
But they ARE considered the best in their given genre (or element, if you're like me).

But they ARE considered the best in their given genre (or element, if you're like me).

But if we are to consider progressive as merely an attribute of music, then they're hardly the most popular band in their genre, which would be heavy metal. Now, compare Dream Theater to Mötley Crüe and tell me, which band is more popular?