Controversial opinions on metal

I agree that atmospheric sludge makes the most sense for most of that stuff.

Then when Isis got tired of everyone ripping them off they did In The Absence of Truth, which is pretty much not metal.

The tag post- implies that the music is the successor to a genre or subgenre. I don't think it's the slightest bit fair to say that the music some call post-metal is the successor to all metal subgenres. Maybe post-sludge or post-black is ok as a descriptor, but not post-metal. It's just too broad, and not descriptive.

I think metal subgenres are more diverse than rock subgenres, unless you have a really wide definition of rock. For example, prog rock is pretty explanatory, but prog metal could mean many more things. I may be off base, since I do not follow rock music as closely, but this is the impression I get.

My impression is that the "post" suffix originally referred to rock bands rooted in indie/alternative scenes of the 80s and 90s when rock bands started creating more slow, drawn-out, atmospheric songs. Progressive in the literal sense, but distinct enough in sound to distance itself from the usual connotations of the term as developed by bands (either metal or rock) who took cues from the originators like Rush, Yes and King Crimson. When that fused with a heavier doom/sludge sound, post metal surfaced.

But there are probably others here more well-versed in that scene, even though I listen to bands like Godspeed You! Black Emperor and A Silver Mt. Zion, so I dunno.

The term "Post-" to me refers to to fresh and interesting metal bands that a genre bending, and apply parts of post-rock in their music. Listen to Pyramids, and than you will understand what I am saying.

I still maintain that "prog" is merely a descriptor that can be applied to bands of any genre, and is not a genre in and of itself. Dream Theater, Symphony X, etc. are progressive heavy metal. Opeth is progressive extreme metal. Scythe is progressive death metal. I actually would call Dream Theater and Symphony X progressive power metal, but several people here have already disagreed with that.

i remember that you guys have had this same exact discussion before and the final resolution was that the term "progressive" is a descriptor that can be used for any genre and that the term "prog" describes the wanky genre that actually doesn't progress, just sounds similar to bands like dream theater.

I wasn't asking what band was more popular here, but in general. Crüe has sold over 80 million albums, according to Wikipedia, while Dream Theater has sold 8 million, so you're obviously wrong.
Ok.
You're probably right, but there are several gaps in that reasoning.
1. I strongly dispute the 80 million figure, especially since on their last album they mention in the lyrics that they've sold 30 million. You probably should check the sources on that.
2. Motley Crue's heyday was in the 80s, which was when they sold all their albums. They're nowhere near as popular as they once were, and most of their fanbase consists of people who buy their albums because they remember going to Crue concerts 20 years ago. Record sales are not a good measure of popularity; Dream Theater may have more and more enthusiastic fans than crue, although obviously in the prime of their career the Crue were one of the most popular bands on the planet.

Because "progressive metal" has come to, ironically, mean something pretty archetypal by now. Cleanly produced metal with crystal sound quality, time changes and complex phrasing, usually clean soaring vocals and a less "driving"/"galloping" sound to differentiate it from power metal (along with the fact that is is more structurally complex, etc.). Truly "progressive" metal is not "progressive metal" at all according to genre definitions because something that truly progresses metal, or music at all, can't really be confined to a genre. Usually, bands that ACTUALLY progress things are considered "avant-garde."
This. Thank you.

I'd call bands like Borknagar, Samael, Ulver, Nachtmystium and Negrua Bunget avant-garde. However, all of them are essentially black metal.
I would say that black metal is by far the most experimental and progressive genre; bands are constantly breaking new ground there. Even Satyricon is progressive, whether you like it or not; this new "black'n'roll" sound is something quite new. And then there's the tons of bands experimenting with bizarre blends of influences and sounds and stuff. All that's happened in death metal (gross exaggeration coming) is it's gotten more br00tal
(I still like DM more, though)

Except record sales ARE an indicator of popularity, but not an indicator of talent

Sadly its all about the promotion though. Thats why some people cant udnerstand why they listened to "band x" a few years ago. They fell for the hype and not for the music itself. I myself have seemingly never followed a trend just because its trendy. All the stuff I liked when I started paying attention to other things than pure childrens music I still like. Of course some with a few exceptions but in general I still like the same stuff and just build on that and discover new things.

Sadly its all about the promotion though. Thats why some people cant udnerstand why they listened to "band x" a few years ago. They fell for the hype and not for the music itself. I myself have seemingly never followed a trend just because its trendy. All the stuff I liked when I started paying attention to other things than pure childrens music I still like. Of course some with a few exceptions but in general I still like the same stuff and just build on that and discover new things.

Yeah, most of it definitely is about promotion though. I remember listening to shit like No Doubt when I was 13. I was so untr00 then