Controversial opinions on metal

Their sound isn't black metal by modern standards of the genre, but their influence on the genre is pretty obvious. BM fans argue that "black metal" is more an ideological descriptor than one related purely to the music itself.

But yeah, I don't think anyone would argue that they sound at all like what we consider black metal these days. You just have to keep in mind that the term "black metal" used to have a different meaning.

Wow, that whole Slayer argument and I missed it! OK, what downgrades RiB for me is the solos. They just sound annoying, other than that, the album is great.

Wow, that whole Slayer argument and I missed it! OK, what downgrades RiB for me is the solos. They just sound annoying, other than that, the album is great.

Perhaps you should consider listening to a different genre of music than thrash, then. Like folk.

Perhaps you should consider listening to a different genre of music than thrash, then. Like folk.

I've been telling people this for years. :lol:

Semi-controversial opinion time:

I don't particularly like drone or funeral doom, or other similarly slow and trudging genres. And I'm still on the face about noise, with the exception of Boris and Merzbow, who are basically the popular incarnation of noise, so does that really count?

It seems very rare for doom bands to be catchy. I've only noticed it in later Cathedral and Electric Wizard. I wish there was more of that than the trudging yawn-fests.

That kind of ignores all the thrash bands that have precise and well-written solos, like Megadeth, Heathen, and every single tech-thrash band that ever existed.

EDIT: Although if his problem is just the existence of guitar solos, I'd have to second the "folk" thing, or maybe myspace black metal.

I don't mind bands not being catchy, but there seems like be a lack of musical components in those genres, since it's mostly feedbacking and effects. That doesn't constitute metal to me, even though I respect them for the "instilling of dread" factor.

come on now... listen to esoteric, mournful congregation, funeral or mourning beloveth... they are musical geniuses who completely fill every void with everything a metal fan could ever want

Am I the only one who thinks Meshuggah is a bit overrated? It's a good listen, but their albums can get a bit repetitive.
Meshuggah is absolute garbage. Occasionally pounding on the lowest strings with basic power chords (CHUG CHUG-CHUG CHUG CHUG-CHUG-CHUG CHUG CHUG-CHUG...) is an extremely transparent attempt at using odd time signatures when you lack the rhythmic feel, talent, or technique to play them properly, and not "technical" at all. The drums sound like a machine in the worst possible way. They and Mastodon can burn in groove metal hell together.

"Hey, look at me play this stupid fucking power chord over and over! I AM A GUITAR GOD!"

I told him to look at it 'as if it were a suite' not that it actually is of course. I was hoping he would re-approach the album with a different point of view so that he would stop complaining about lack of dynamics, etc. My point was that like a suite there is an overrall homogenous sound/theme to it with shorter movements and a couple of longer ones. And that by complaining about lack of diversity he was missing the point.
Your analysis is right on though. Earlier I had drawn a comparison between RIB and Punk as well. Namely that his complaints against the album were as misplaced as against a punk album. They were completely missing the point.

Too be honest, with acts like Bad Brains, Husker Du, The Clash, NoMeansNo, At the Drive-In, HORSE the Band, The Blood Brothers, etc. those complaints are decently well placed. There is no reason that punk can't be varied.

There is no reason thrash can't be either if you're going to draw that comparison.

Meshuggah is absolute garbage. Occasionally pounding on the lowest strings with basic power chords (CHUG CHUG-CHUG CHUG CHUG-CHUG-CHUG CHUG CHUG-CHUG...) is an extremely transparent attempt at using odd time signatures when you lack the rhythmic feel, talent, or technique to play them properly, and not "technical" at all. The drums sound like a machine in the worst possible way. They and Mastodon can burn in groove metal hell together.

"Hey, look at me play this stupid fucking power chord over and over! I AM A GUITAR GOD!"

Thank you. It's depressing how many people actually think they're creative.

Actually, I like getting into new genres, gimme some good folk. :p But really, Slayers pretty subpar against other thrash bands solo-wise.

Just before I hear my first Meshuggah song, I was given as much hype as could be possible about how creative and unique they were, and then I heard it...and that was probably the biggest 'That was it?' feeling I've ever had.

Actually, I like getting into new genres, gimme some good folk. :p But really, Slayers pretty subpar against other thrash bands solo-wise.

Just before I hear my first Meshuggah song, I was given as much hype as could be possible about how creative and unique they were, and then I heard it...and that was probably the biggest 'That was it?' feeling I've ever had.

Welcome to the club.