Controversial opinions on metal

What the hell do you like? Britney Spears?

haha noo.

but this is a controversial opinions on metal thread right? yeah exactly, this was all my controversial opinions.

I never said I hated those bands though, I like Opeth, Children Of Bodom and some Iron Maiden and Metallica...but none of those bands seem to strike me as gods like for some people.

yeah, alot of people are like that. lol

well Norther is high on my list because they are one of the bands to get me into metal...mostly the full on screaming and any kind of melodeath or death. so yeah...I tend to make them my first.

No they're not. Opeth is still Opeth; Nightwish has gone from symphonic power metal with opera vocals to equal parts Disney movie soundtrack and mallcore.

My point exactly. Those who hate them, hate them a lot. I actually agree with you, Nightwish as gone to garbage. Yet there's a whole army of 15 year-old who just cannot stop worshiping them. Kinda like Hannah Montana.

You know 15 year-olds who listen to Nightwish?

Several. The average age for a metalhead here in Montreal is like 16. It's good to know the younger generation follows I guess...

I went to that Finntroll gig last week and I had to witness a bunch of kiddos dressed as if they were going to a larp for the weekend. Heck, 3/4 of the crowd was underage.

I think it's mostly a queation of permits. Usually, if a bar sells only alcohol and do not serve any food, they have to be 21+ or 18+, unless they get labeled as a theater or showroom. I don't know exactly how it works, I never studied law nor will I.

Anyone care to enlighten us ignorants?

I think it's mostly a queation of permits. Usually, if a bar sells only alcohol and do not serve any food, they have to be 21+ or 18+, unless they get labeled as a theater or showroom. I don't know exactly how it works, I never studied law nor will I.

Anyone care to enlighten us ignorants?

It largely depends on the state/regional/local alcohol laws, so it varies. Shows here can be all ages if the club serves alcohol but no food, though I've heard of places where that isn't true. Venues in some jurisdictions must be 21+ if they serve alcohol at all. Some places are kinda forced into stricter age policies to stay in business if they encounter problems with underage drinking, even when the local laws are generally looser.

It largely depends on the state/regional/local alcohol laws, so it varies. Shows here can be all ages if the club serves alcohol but no food, though I've heard of places where that isn't true. Venues in some jurisdictions must be 21+ if they serve alcohol at all. Some places are kinda forced into stricter age policies to stay in business if they encounter problems with underage drinking, even when the local laws are generally looser.

Same here, shows used to be 18+ but now every bar seems to offer "all ages" shows. Once you're in the line-up they just ask you if you're of age and if you are they stick a nice little hospital tag 'round your wrist to prove to the barman you have the legal right to get shitfaced at your own expense...Of course everybody says "yes I am soooo 18 man" and they just give away those armbands like juicy fruits so all the underage kids get drunk to...

How can you even think the genres have expanded to their limits? In the early 1900s, people were certain everything had been invented. Don't underestimate human creativity.
This. It'll be cool to see where it goes.

I think metal's next step is to become an element in cinema and general popular media. Metal has implemented film and culture for quite a long time (like the B-horror-movie horror shtick and political nods) and it seems logical that an era will come when metal reaches the ultimate forefront. Some may argue that this was reached during the days of glam and hair metal, but if it does so again, I think it will be more mature and taken somewhat seriously as a legitimate art form in mass media, not just a teenage/young person pastime.
Hell yeah.
Metal makes for awesome soundtracks, for one thing.

Bodom does suck balls, in all honesty.
My problems with them is the shredding, which bores me, the general feeling that they aren't serious about their music (accentuated by Alexi just saying "FUCK" at random points as well as their lyrics etc), and the fact that the songs just aren't very good or interesting.

My problems with them is the shredding, which bores me, the general feeling that they aren't serious about their music (accentuated by Alexi just saying "FUCK" at random points as well as their lyrics etc), and the fact that the songs just aren't very good or interesting.

Couldn't have said it better.