Controversial opinions on metal

I'm still trying to figure out why anyone who claims to like good metal would think Pantera is worth listening to.

I'm still trying to figure out why anyone who claims to like good metal would think Pantera is worth listening to.

I like Pantera. That's just opinion. I'm not going to criticize anyone who likes Lamb Of God, although they fucking suck.

I don't think they're a great band, but they were still fairly innovative in the early '90s and had a few classic songs, so they're at least notable.

Pantera is one of the main reasons i got into metal, i grew up on a huge dose of Cowboys and Vulgar. Therefore i won't dismiss them just because they aren't popular on this board. I rarely listen to them anymore but when i do it brings back good memories of the 9 times i seen them live when i was a teenager.

I don't think they're a great band, but they were still fairly innovative in the early '90s and had a few classic songs, so they're at least notable.

True.

That's why I bought "Reinventing Hell", their best of CD. I'm not a fanboy, would never buy their other stuff, but they do have some great songs. I listen to it sometimes.

Pantera were one of the first metal bands I got into and bought cds from. I can see why people would think they are a great metal band being they are a band you first really embrace that changes you making you want to hear heavy music.

same goes for metallica,slayer,sepultura,etc... I think for the most part these are gateways bands into extreme music.

Far Beyond is fucking badass. I demand you to go back and listen to "Use My Third Arm" or "Slaughtered" again! As far as pre-Cowboys i'd stay away unless you like cheesy power glam.
Okay, I'll give them another shot. And actually I happen to love cheesy power glam.

If by 'pinnacle' you mean sucking the biggest dick they can, and by 'establishing their sound' betraying thrash metal, then you're absolutely right.
Okay, even if you don't like Vulgar, how the fuck does it "betray" thrash metal? That's probably the most retarded thing I've heard on here today, and I've been reading the stacy grim thread.

You must not have heard very many songs in your life.

the last time i remember hearing that song it was physically painful for me. i would compare it to nails on the chalkboard. for some reason this song just really really bothers me... it fucking sucks.

ok end of rant :p

I didn't get into metal from gateway bands, so I can't sympathize.

OMGZORRRZ1 UR SO BR0000TALL!!! OMFG I DONT BELEVE ITT! AWESOMEE!!!!! WES LOOK UP 2 U

OK, now that I have that out of my system Pantera are a gateway band. They're probably one of the first metal bands I got into, but listening to them doesn't bring back fond memories. I think they're just good for being a gateway band, & at the same time terribly over rated. Vulgar is one of the most over rated metal albums of all time.

I didn't get into metal from gateway bands, so I can't sympathize.

Most people who learn what metal they should like on the internet tend to skip gateway bands,aka those who got into it the last 4-5 years. Personally i find it hard to believe that someone can go from not listening to metal to listening to Burzum in 24 hours. Me i didn't have any internet to learn such stuff in back in the mid nineties so i listened to many bands that doesn't have much kvlt cred,and still do.

I was born in '84, I started listenening to them around the time Far Beyond Driven came out. My friend's older brother was a huge metalhead & he had hundreds of metal cds which were extremely obscure bands to me at the time like Amorphis, Coroner, & Iced Earth. He had a lot of stuff, but a lot of metal standards. Now, this was a while ago we I didn't have internet to inform us of all the Demilich's, Gorguts's, & Averse Sefira's that rule over teh land of teh internets.

Probably because they can listen to whatever they want?

I like shit like Huey Lewis and the News and Diana Krall ffs. I also like Burzum and Morbid Angel.

I don't see your point here.

What would I do now without all my gateway bands and records? Currently enjoying the much needed respite from all the ear-grating fuzziness, darkness-evoking drone and budget riffs, to ensure I don't lose interest in extreme metal altogether.