Controversial opinions on metal

But the problem is the fact that you and I have differing opinions, therefore I'm not being hypocritical. If I were to concede to the idea that Opeth's material is all the same, then you'd be correct.

Listen, I'm not stupid, yeah some of Opeth's material has the same patterns or layout, but so does every band. The problem with Primordial (IMO) is that they do it in a way that turns me off.

Why aren't you on msn Thoth? I want to cuss you out.

On a side note, Ozzman, stop being a fucking moron and stating Still Life is their worst album. Only a complete tool would think that while claiming to be an Opeth fan. Still Life is so far beyond any and all of their other material it's mind-numbing. Seriously, stop being a bitch, listen to the album some more, and like it.

still life is the epitome of that 'laying it on too thick' i just referred to, it's also full of awkward transitions. god most of that album feels so contrived it's sickening, and not even contrived intelligently either. i had a hint of that even when i was the biggest opeth fanboy in the world, that was always my least favourite of the first 6.

i really don't see how opeth's albums sound the same btw, aside from the qualities i was just on about - in fact there isn't a single one particularly similar to another (except maybe the last two which i'm not as familiar with). orchid and morningrise are vaguely similar as are MAYH & still life but they're not even close to being the same.

i've only heard two primordial albums so i can't really comment on them, but even so.

well fuck you too buddy

I don't know, maybe I'm crazy, but that album is brilliant. Granted I know the whole "majority rules" shit doesn't work but, most people think the same way about Still Life. meh

Not really, considering it's my perfectly legitimate opinion on the album. Deal with it.

I find Primordial to be underwhelming
After how much they get fellated on here i'd agree.

I can't get past the vocals and their songs start off good but never seem to go anywhere.

On a side note, Ozzman, stop being a fucking moron and stating Still Life is their worst album.
Listen to Drunkard goddamnit! Still Life is a masterpiece, i'll never get tired of that album.

i have all kinds of problems with opeth in general, they don't just lay everything on too thick, they also don't bother arranging that big gloop of everything in a way that makes sense. MAYH has the most subtle moments of their post-morningrise albums, and isn't as jarringly incoherent as the first two, hence it's my favourite. i'm not sure i'd like it much if not for nostalgia.
This more or less sums up my feelings.

I doubt this is controversial, but: Ghost Reveries just flat out sucks. Even more incoherent than their other albums and on top of that the riffs suck and the whole deal sounds weak. So...it's like a shitty version of every other Opeth album, which makes it suck even more.

Do you guys have to bring up Opeth in every single thread?
It's one of the forum rules.

:rolleyes: Dude I figured you'd bring that up.

When i listen to Agalloch their songs take me on a journey. Especially "In The Shadow of Our Pale Companion" and the majority of The Mantle. Primordial i can chalk up as one of
those bands i "tried/wanted" to get into but couldn't for some reason.

In all seriousness tho', I like John Haughm's vocals.